My friend feels pain in his chest,heart and lungs sometimes for aproximalty 5 minutes,he is 14 years old.He also experiences pain in the side of his chest while breathing. Can anyone tell me what this might be?

Your friend should see a doctor. Pain in the chest when breathing can be caused by a number of health problems and illnesses. Pleurisy is an inflammation of the lining of the cavity surrounding the lungs. It is also known as pleuritis. The primary symptom of this condition is acute chest pain when breathing and coughing. One of the symptoms of pneumonia is sharp chest pain when breathing deeply or coughing. Costochondritis is commonly referred to as chest wall pain. It is an inflammation of the cartilage between the ribs and the sternum. Chest pain when breathing in could be due to the angina pain resulting from a heart disease.

Hi mcrcoffee,

As April has already said your friend needs to see a doctor as soon as possible. Since you have post this instead of him I presume that he is shy and that he is avoiding talking about his problem but you must convince him that is very important to inform his parents about his condition. it could be something very serious in question and the sooner he gets diagnosed sooner he can start with the treatment.

It is very unpleasant to experience that pain all the time so I believe that you will easily convince him that it is in his best interest to report his problems to adults. I wish you good luck in this mission.