Hello! My grandmother has problems with her joints. Her knees and fingers often get red, painful and inflamed. She has recently started to feel some strange pain in her chest. She went to see her doctor and she told me he diagnosed some kind of arthritis that appears in chest but she couldn’t remember the name. I think she misunderstood something. Is there a name for arthritis that appears in chest?

Hello! Chest pain is often connected with rheumatoid arthritis and can be a sign of costochondritis which is common with rheumatoid arthritis. It comes and goes on its own and there is not much that can be done. Some people think they have a heart attack since the symptoms may be the same. But, you should be very careful with chest pain since it can be confused with arthritis but actually could be caused with some other diseases. If your grandmother complaints often of her chest pain you should ask for some further examinations. Peptic ulcers, gastro esophageal reflux, gas pockets, irritable bowel syndrome, esophageal spasm or a tear or ulcer in the esophagus can be the causes of chest pain. Also, if your grandmother takes many painkillers to control joint pain she may not recognize or feel chest pain caused by heart attack or other dangerous condition the same way a person would who does not take painkillers.