My costochondritis doesn’t go away. My chest hurts and I can’t breathe. I take Motrin and occasionally I get steroid injection, but it is still very painful. Is there any way to get rid of costochondritis for ever? I’ve developed fear of suffocating - there is simply not enough air in my lungs.

As you already know, your condition is caused by an inflamed cartilage placed at the junction of your ribs and sternum. This cartilage can be surgically removed if the pain disrupts your everyday activities. Since there is no positive reaction to the medical therapy this may be a good choice, so you should discuss it with your doctor. As for your fear of suffocation, it is not an uncommon condition in this situation. A lot of people fear that they are not getting enough air or that their heart does not work properly. However, were there any disorders concerning your lungs and/or heart, the doctor would notice them by now, since these checks are always performed in case of chest pain. If your diagnose is costochondritis, it means that more serious conditions were ruled out. Your lungs are working just fine, as well as your heart, so do not worry. You must learn to control your fear and prevent the development of anxiety or panic attacks (which are very common in this situation).

Have you ever found help? I am going through those same symptoms it has been 4 months, no relief, I seem to get some better days than a flare up..This has really disrupted my every day activities.

I have had it for over 2 years . Doctors tryrd everything but surgery. Its gotten so bad that I can't perform normal activities because any amount of movement feels like a knife in my chest. Or has completely crippled me at some points. The only thing that seems to help are anti depression pills to help keep my mind focused because the pain would always take over my thoughts to a point I couldn't think.