Hi! I heard that my cousin has symptoms of early onset dementia. I’m not sure that I know what early onset dementia is. I know that dementia is some can of disease. Bit it affect people who are elderly. Please, can somebody tell me what does the term early onset dementia means? Thanks!

The term early onset dementia (or younger onset dementia) is usually used to describe people under the age of 65 with any form of dementia. This term covers all symptoms of a large group of illnesses which cause a progressive decline in a person's mental functioning. As you know, dementia in younger people is much less common than dementia occurring after the age of 65.

Hello there,

Since arnuad has answered basics of your question I would like to add just few more facts. First of all don’t be afraid. This is severe mental condition but that doesn’t mean that you should start to avoid your cousin but instead try to be supportive as much as you can.

Early symptoms are usually depending on what type of dementia is in question but usually this is related to problems with speech and forgetting usual things. Sometimes it can be quite difficult to handle dementia because person could forget where he or she lives so it can be quite difficult for the family members.

Also he will need therapy and certain medications and even increased dosage if you notice that situation is getting worse.