My son is exhibiting signs of depression. He is on Adderall for his ADHD for almost a year. I decided to give him a break from it because he was not eating and since stopping the medication, he has smiled more and been a much happier child. My husband was against it. I couldn’t look at him like that, depressed. I would like to hear from other Adderall users, could it be causing depression?

Hi there, my son was also on Adderall for a year and it worked well most of the time. However, lately he has wild mood swings which I believe are side effect from a drug. I believe that these meds are not safe for long term use. So, I decided to switch him to stratera and his mood has improved. Well, I think you answered your self on your question could Adderall be causing depression.

Around my Junior year in high school, i was dating a girl who had ADD. I never really knew much about ADD or its effects, and frankly was really never too interested. One night, though, i was staying at her place. this was around the time that I was starting to practice for my SAT's. I got decent but pretty low scores, and i was talking to her about it. She gave me an adderall pill and said i should try it next time i take a practice test. Low and beold, my score went up 150 points just between one week and no studying between. It was a miracle!! I told my mom, and though she got pissed i took a drug that wasnt prescribed to me, she got me tested... low and behold i got my own prescription. Junior and senior year went by, and i tried to take adderall as little as i could...i didnt like the side effects; sweating, dry mouth, decrease sex drive...so i stayed off it as much as i could. But during this year, my first year at UCSD, school has been a lot harder. being on the quarter system makes things go very fast, and it seemed i needed adderall all the more. I didnt really mind the sweating and dry mouth and decrease sex drive, i was getting a 3.9 GPA my first quarter...i never even got that in high school! So i started taking it more and more, up to about 3 or 4, sometimes even more a week. Lately ive been feeling really depressed and somewhat bi-polar. Ive lost my ability to be social and ive become kind of bitter to the world. Grades are still great, and its hard as f**k to stop taking it.
So my question/reason im writing all this is to see if anyone else has gone through the same things from adderall. IM not sure if i changed from the adderall or from being in a new enviornment im unfamiliar with with people i dont know. If anyone has any comments on this, please let me know. Thanks a lot.

I too experience the same problems you have occurred with adderall. I am 30 yrs old and have lost my sex drive and lost my social skills. I was turning some stand up comedy circuits and on my way in that field, but since adderall cant even be funny, and cant stop taking the c**p. The only thing I see it helped was my weight loss. I feel bi- polar , and can flip out on someone fast. My personality has changed and I feel hooked on it.

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

adderall DOES cause depression.

Iv been using adderall for 6 years and i have to say its awesome it works but after the 4th and 5th year i feel strung out from it and am fully reliant on it and cant function with out it. I also have depression (might just be teenager stuff) it feels like as i don't get that push i get like i did in the beginning of taking it. Iv switched to higher dose but im just more strung out making it impossible to go to sleep but unable to really get stuff done as your on the down curve of the dose. The only time i enjoy adderall anymore is the time right after the morning high like 10 hours in cant really concentrate but can be a little less serious. It seems to blunt your emotions as well could solve the extremes but not having the option to feel them makes you feel like a hallow robot. So it might just be mild depression but it hasn't allowed me to feel happy in a while now.

I am a junior in high school and begginning to wonder if it is causing my depression, because I have been having random screaming fights with my mom and I am always confused why she is unhappy with me in the first place. Instead I feel like I don't have any true friends (which may be true), crying when I think I look good (very odd, you would think I would be proud), and feeling hopeless. Enough about me though. I never thought about adderall as an addictive drug, I hope I can stop taking it ok. The only problem is that I get severe headaches and stomach aches just from not being on medication in general. I had these symptoms before medication, but you could try gradually decreasing the dosage and substituting caffine. I am not a medical professional, this is just my opinion. I heard it pretty much does the same thing, but I figure if you gradually work yourself onto energy drinks or something you will hate the crash they give you and just stop taking them. I haven't heard of energy drink addicts. Also, they have an energy drink out that is a natural vitamin that supposedly doesn't make you crash. But this is just my opinion, you could ask a doctor or whoever proscribed you the adderall in the first place.

I have been on Adderall for two yeras, i find it helps me to concentrate, and i have less problems controlinfg my actions. On the other han di am alwys tired, i feel depressed and an extreme lonelieness. I also feel very depressed and i am not hungry. I am losing weight and friends. I don't know if it is the Adderal or if it is something else. Does anybody else feel this way??

I'm a junior in High School, and was diagnosed with ADHD finally, after my parents couldn't stand my grades falling any lower. I'd failed Algebra twice, and after being prescribed Adderall XR 30 mg, i aced it over the summer with a 96, and all seemed to work out my way :-)

But, then my junior year started, and I became increasingly aware of my weight. I went from originally 156 to 125 in like 2 months (not even) And i became increasingly obsessed with my weight. Now the thought of eating anything makes me very nervous and If my mom suggests for me to eat something, I become very aggravated and begin to rage at her for no reason.

My grades are very good, except in math, where it requires logic to complete and succeed. I feel like I'm in a glass bubble, isolated, and I can't express my thoughts as easily.

My moods have changed drastically, and I'm extremely angry when I'm criticized, and prone to mood swings.

I also find when im in a stressful situation where usually i should be crying, I'd randomly start to laugh.

Due to my weight obsession, I have a form of (not sure of the phrase) Body Dysmorphic something...

Besides the emotional stuff, My hands feel stiff, and every time I go to stand up, I feel dizzy and confused.

I personally love doing better in school, but Adderall XR isn't worth the health risk....

that sounds like a good old fashioned case of depression to me

Hi, well.. here's my story. I'm 23 and began taking adderall occassionally to study for finals in my 4th year at UCLA. Before it, I'd always shown symptoms of ADHD..not being able to focus, sit still... coorperate pretty much all the symptoms. And at UCLA, it was really hard to just sit there and focus during lectures so I would just not show up to class. And then my friend gave me adderall and I taking it periodically just to study or sometimes to finish tasks I simply COULD NOT sit down and do, like working on my resume. etc. Well, I got prescribed adderall, officially, last month. I was diagnosed with depression a year and a half ago. It was long overdue and finally when i started thinking about suicide, my doctor put me on wellbutrin and lexapro. Anyway, so last month I started taking adderall.. 4x a week just to focus at work. but as soon as it wears off I'm like zombie.. completely different. I feel so lonely. Something I've managed to overcome but has come back since the adderall. I get asked out all the time but I feel like no one really cares about me. Compliments only make me more depressed as I think about what happens when I'm older and don't look like this. I've isolated myself completely and dread leaving my apartment. I can't even make my bed when I'm not on adderall. I just want to sleep. After reading all these posts, it truly makes sense that adderall is problem. I wonder if it's just depleting our serotonin levels once we 'crash' or even more frightening... I worry that my brain becomes dependent on the drug to generate serotonin.

I have a huge problem. I start my lsat prep classes tomorrow and so I can't stop taking adderall..... with work and the lsats.. I just don't know what to do.... any advice based on your own experiences?

I just want people who are experiencing this to know that you're definitely not alone. I'd rather sit at home depressed than to socialize with people I love.

My son has ADHD, he was diagnosed when he was six. He began taking Adderall and it seemed to work pretty well for nearly a year and then things just turned ugly. He would be angry and so irritable all of the time, it was hard to talk to him. He would start sobbing when it didn't seem to be warranted. He would degrade himself, talk about nobody liking him, say "I wish I could take a gun and shoot myself" - this from a six and newly seven year old boy. It was downright scary. He had rages and depressive tendencies before getting on the Adderall, which is what led me to just try some medication. Things got better and then they got worse. We switched to the patch, bad idea, welts everywhere the patch was and took 3 hours before working for him. We are now taking concerta and I am breathing a sigh of relief, holding thumbs that this will work long term. It frightens me to hear from some of you how addicted you feel to it, I worry about that as my son gets older. I feel like I am in a no win situation. He doesn't take it and he has behavioral and scholastic problems and hates himself because of that, if he does take it, he may become addicted. Where is the win here?

I have been prescribed to adderall and taking it consistently for the past 2 years, but have taken adderall and ritalin throughout college and most of high school sporadically without a prescription. The queries regarding symptoms of depression, loss of friends, weight loss and the like are all things I have experienced as well. I am writing this to provide a insight derived from my unique personal experience and knowledge of neuropharmocology; I hope the information will be helpful to anyone struggling with the same problems that I have experienced for years. A full understanding of what Adderall does to your brain will clear some things up, but you may also reconsider taking it if you know these underlying issues.

Adderall is an amphetamine and it addictive: it is similar to having a methamphetamine addiction in regards to the physical and psychological dependance. I know this because I am a former meth user and the withdrawel experience is exactly the same. The stimulant properties of the medication cause changes in the actions of the brain's chemical transmitters (brain neurochemistry); altering the ability of the brain to regulate the levels of neurotransmitters by its normal mechanisms which results in massive fluctuations in the brain chemistry that neurological impulses and functioning. This results in the side effects that all have experienced.

At times I have lost substantial amounts of weight, without Adderall I am generally 115 to 120 lbs, but on Adderall I fluctuate between 105 and 110 lbs depending on the amount I take which corresponds with my workload (I am 5' 9" tall). It allows you to not feel hungry and the increased focus on work/school exacerbates the gastrointestional effects (anorexia, dehydration), if you do not make a conscious effort to eat and ensure adequate nutrition.

Regarding the loss of friends and inability to socialize, I believed that my best friend who also takes adderall summed it up best "it makes you into a really effective robot." Adderall makes you internally focused which decreases your external emotional awareness and increases emotional volatility, which can result in unintentionally being inconsiderate towards others when you express yourself or lack of interest in social interaction due to emotional fluctuations.

None of these symptoms result when taking lower dosages of the medication, but taking lower dosages is difficult to sustain when you become habituated to the effects of the drug, building a tolerance. The initial effectiveness of a low dose decreases and you begin to take more to achieve the initial benefits.

The only advice I can give you is to either change to Adderall XR or stop taking it completely, relying on exercise and meditation to get you back in a mental state that is congruent with leading a normal, high functioning life without depression and social discomfort.

I will be trying to follow this course of action, as I am ending school and starting a new career, where I feel that my dependance on Adderall will be a burden that outweighs the benefits of the enhanced performance it provides. and will update all of you on whether my attempts are effective.

Get off Adderall -- it does deplete serotonin levels.

i am 16 years old and a sophmore ion high school i have been takeing aderall for about 5 ot 6 years now and at first my grades just shot up from D's and C's to A's and B's but then on my second year of takeing them i felt like i was getting depressed and at first i thought feeling like that was normal but then my freshmen year in high school i was getting worse and worse i felt like i was lossing my friends i was veary depressed and in my sophmore year i accually found myself cutting my wrist for no apperent reason my favoret teacher came up to me and asked my what was going on and i wanted to talk to her but i did not know how to explain it but then my sister 18 years old talked to me and she told me theat this is a side effect of Aderall and i got to thinking and did some research and i found that other people taking it was in the same possession as i am i cound not explain how or why i was felling so low and depressed but now i strongly believe that this is my medication!!!