Hello everyone,

I'm 32 5'10 about 165. I had the severe chest pain while doing dips, and tried to research what it could be. Without sucess, I just assumend I would have to live with this, well now I can say its pretty much gone after two years of hell...

I began having all the above symptoms due to what I now believe to be two causes. The only thing is I never was able to crack the chest, just had the sharp pain while doing anything chest press related, especially dips. Sneezing was so painful, I soon was able to stop a sneeze in its tracks because letting it go hurt so much. Anyway, the two causes for me was lifting heavier weights while doing dumbell flys (this puts the strain, right on the muscles attached to the sternum, and pretty severe slouching while watching tv on a a bed, up agains a headboard. The pain began slowly and then I couldn't do a dip to save my life. I went to the doctor and chiropractor and they couldn't do anything. I stopped going to the gym thinking the lifting was making it worse.

Well the chiropractor suggested to keep going (i could do all other muscle groups without any pain, just no chest), and slowly build up the chest muscles. Wanting to get back into the gym anyway, I started doing this, and lo and behold, almost a year later, I'm still ok and can crank out dips like I used to. I still have some slight tingles every once in a while, but i can do thing I didn't think i would be able to again.

Just wanting to let people know it can go away...

incredible that all of you people are just like ME. I have a cracking/popping sternum. Some days, when I'm slouched over the computer long enough, I probably crack my chest between 20-30 times in a sitting (3-4 hours, depending on how much work I have)... I've been doing it for over a year now... no pain.
But really, this can't be normal.

Holy Cow! Here I was for the past 6 years thinking I was alone. My first real chest pains started in bootcamp. Shortly after graduation and constant hazing of my body through working out and running I soon discovered that to aliviate the pain I could crack my sternum and feel great and continue on my workout routine. Well now that I have been out of the Marines for 3 years the pain still returns to me everyone in a blue moon and after a quick crack I feel wonderful again. Im glad to hear that I am not alone in this strange condition. I get the dagging pain randomly and it feels like someone has just stabbed me with a knife. I am just glad to hear that I am not alone.

This is so unusual but I happen to have a cracking sternum as well but when I do it, and I don't have pain at all. Is that normal too? I feel like i shouldn't be cracking my sternum at all. Does anyone have an idea?

We need answers, no more experiences please!!! ANSWERS

I have the same thing that is described here over and over again. I've had an x-rays and MRI. Nothing was found. Can't understand how no one can get a proper diagnosis. Fing hate doctors. Sometimes it goes away or seems to not bother me for a while as bad, but it always comes back. Killing me this week and can't seem to crack it properly, ugh!

Gastro doctor is telling me the pain could have something to do with reflux but I'm not really buying it - it seems obviously muscular/skeletal. Does anyone else have gastro issues? I've been given pain relief patches but but as annoying and painful as this is, it's not really worth applying something all the time or icing or warming constatnly. I might get around to this eventually and maybe if the inflamation is treated properly for a long time this will go away for good. But I'm not hopeful. I've had this for over 3 years....

Someone already answered this; I think he was an orthopaedic surgeon. Go to the original thread of which this is an extension. (I think it was page 10 of the original thread).

I'm a sternum cracker as well, however, the only problem is "physically fitness" has nothing to do with me. I'm physically unfit at best, and a total goner at worst. Either way, my pains started when I used to be in front of my laptop all day long in this weird posture. Don't know a word that can describe it, so bear with the sentence I am giving: I usually am in front of my laptop in a way that is similar to side-sleeping; except that the upper half of my body is supported by my elbows that touch the ground. That's how the upper half of the body is hauled and it undoubtedly seems that one half of the ribs (the right side) is crushing the other (the left one). When I get up, I need to pop else it hurts.

I'll be seeing someone.

No, This is not at all gastro problem as i have consulted gastro expert and they took lot of test live liver scanning and lot of test i dont even remember those test. I was planning to take MRI as i can see here even that is not usefull.
I am doing normal streching exercise.
As one user mentioned here he cured it by just proper training and swiming i too hope that is good solution.
But for after swimming i feel great but it strucks after some time again.
Unfortunately i cant swim very regularly also.
Anway gues keep posting if anything you feel better, caution always i took med i felt better in starting but after few days i dont feel any difference.
Things which i think usefull
1)strech you chest by opening you arm wide and closing. start mildly dont over strech.
2)swimming.
3)good sound sleep with good posture. I dnt know which is good posture i am trying laying on my back now a days i have read it many places.
4)atleast weekly once play some outdoor sports.
5)dont feel very much about it.
6)eat helthy.
7)sit in good posture.

I think all this will deff help you atleast to reduce little pain.

Regards,
Fellow chest cracker.
Praveen

Hello, I am a 26 year old female, no weight issues, moderately active and lead a healthy lifestyle. My sternum has been cracking (painlessly) for~ the last 6 months. I am a naturopathic doctor and agree with most posts that the solution to this problem is through chiropractic adjustments, as well as emphasizing posture and proper exercise techniques to tone up weak muscles (usually opposite to the problem)...i.e. the back. My problem arises from slouching or sleeping on my side, where the sternum tends to be compressed d/t the pressure on having the chest in a concave position.

Best solution is to go to the chiropractor or naturopath (don't bother with MD unless pain is predominant), have your sternum assessed as well as your spine/ribs and get them adjusted. Exercise regularly, working opposing muscle groups to open up the chest and strenthen the back. Focus on postures that do not promote cracking, i.e. sitting up straight at the computer, driving..etc. and walking tall...and try NOT to crack! This joint is not supposed to be mobile and cracking it frequently can lead to hypermobility, inflammation and tissue irritation which can lead to osteoarthritis down the road, which will be painful and more difficult to manage.

Trust me, I know the urge to crack and relieve the pressure is gratifying, but work on correcting the other factors which have contributed to this problem, and protect your body!

J :-)

Ho, finally some one else replied. i am just wondering why others are not updating i am sure that every one is trying something or the other to over come this pain. Please keep posting. And i am from india here chiroprators are not that famous i think or may be they called with some other name. Please keep updating. My condition is ok but with this pain i unable to lead an healthy life.

Thanks and Regards,

Praveen

I daily check this post that some one comes up with correct solution for this problem. But most of them are guests and i think they are not following this post. Please update about your health status i know all of us trying to get rid of it, as we know there is not rit answer from very educated doctors. And we all are from different part of this globe i am sure some one or other will be knowing solution for this.
Request to all users please update. Only after two months i am seeing one lady is posting here. Madam if u dont mind is chiropractor is the solution cos here in many post u can see that many are not satisfied with the chiros. And with these i know whatever we try 1st we feel great as it gives relief but i too have gone through the same face. where every time i felt ok this going to cure me.
I know cracking is not good for that from today i will try my level best not to do that.

Thanks and Regards,

Praveen

chest cracking has truly become an addiction for me. i crack my chest an ungodly amount. maybe 50 times a day? i work at a computer throughout the day, so my posture presents a lot of pressure in my sternum/chest area... i love doing the "slow mo" crack...i'll lean back to check if there's any pressure, and if I feel the slightest bit (of pressure), i hold myself in that position (a little tilted), and then after about 30 seconds I slowly push my shoulders back and slowly puff my chest, this enables me to produce multiple cracks up my sternum, and if i'm lucky i get the ol' 3-in-1, which is the bottom/middle/and top of sternum crack at once and it's firmly spotted at no. 2 (behind you know what) as the best physical feeling ever...i've even had my lower back and the 3-in-1 at the same time, and it was probably the most pleasurable experience of my life...

anyway, it's definitely not normal that i crack my chest habitually throughout the day... but...i'm not dying from it.

Its nice that ur feeling very happy to crack, but i hope your not very comfortable with it.

Have u taken any medication for this. Presently i am working with computer. But i have this work from when i was working as a mechanical engineer. I think this problem is due to musscle contraction.
Did you have any physical exercise exp. As i was working out in gym where i gave lot of strain to my musscle.

Please guys share your experiance.

Praveen

no i've never worked out in my life.
the cracking just started about a year ago.
it's progressively getting worse and worse. sometimes the pressure is so much that my chest literally pops so loudly that it can easily be heard in the next room. the feeling is orgasmic to say the least...but i know with my chest popping that intensely, that something has to be wrong. i just don't hope that i have a heart attack one of these days. or that my sternum splits in two or something. something's bound to happen!

Hey dont worry its not heart attack for sure,

This is something related to muscles i bel. Where you active in sports in your younger age.

Because many who where active in sports or gym and stopped activities are facing this problem including me.

I am expecting replys from others users too but i dont know why no one is posting. Please keep posting .

Regards,

Praveen