Dear Doctor,
I was working out on my tricepts, doing dips, and suddenly I've heard a crack in the middle of my chest with consequent pain. Now I feel some pain when breathing but nothing major. Is it possible that I've fractured my sternum? If so, what should I do? Thanks very much in advance

Good day everyone.

I think that I had exactly the same problem. When I am doing those dips, I felt some weird tightness in my chest that I never felt before and I can't say that I was not worried about this. First, I believed that I have hurt my muscle and I felt much better with myself. But after pushing again too many times, I tried doing dips again one day. I just can tell you that the pain was unbearable, I never felt something like this before. This pain was so sharp. So, I went to the hospital immediately and they set diagnose - sternum fracture

The good thing is that it was nothing that hard, they just prescribed painkillers for me telling me that I will be Ok if I take a rest. So I did. And I was recovered after four months totally. 

So, that is what you should do as well - seek for doctors attention and ask for painkillers. 

Hallo,

You have to understand that many people have sternum fractures. Now when you are doing exercise you have to be careful and you have to stretch your body first. The cracking sound that you have heard might be just a minor injury but it can also mean that you have some kind of fracture in your sternum. Have you been using any pain killers for the pain? How long hs this been going on? I think that if the pain is persistent that you should see your doctor and do a scan of your chest to see if there are any fractures in the sternum.

All the best to you,

Karen