I really want to share my experience with you guys so I can find out if anyone else has the same issue. Like many of you on here, I crack my sternum and it's a pop towards the top left side. My issue is this, sometimes I get some pain in my ribs. The pain is mild, but when I push on it, it feels tender.

Does anyone else have the mild rib/muscle pain along with the cracking sternum? I am going to speak with a Doctor about this and I will post his response. I hope it helps all of us because noone seems to understand what the hell I mean when I say I crack my chest.

what and ??????

My dear friends. Please update the post. I know this is very long discusion. But i wonder why no is able to find a solid answer for bleddy pain its so anoying when ur suffering and you dont know why ur suffering.

Hi Everyone,

I've found this thread looking up this condition as mine has started to get a little worse over the past few years. I was Diagnosed with Costochondritis when i was 19, though i was noticing raised areas around my sternum when i was about 16. I developed swellings and calcifications (according to my GP) around about 5 junctions on my Sternum. I was given some antiinflamatory drugs to get the swelling down. Now, im 26 so i've been dealing with this for 10 years, over the past 3 i'd say its gotten gradually worse. I was told that it would only be temporary initially but that clearly isnt the case. Luckily what were described as calcifications originally have gone now, to an extent and i have a raised area around one rib leading from the sternum which is tender to the touch. My chest cracks usually once a day at least, i do find that it seems to get worse when im stressed and that as it gets tighter my entire posture tends to lean in. I agree totally with those that say sneazing is HELL!

The reason that no one seems to be diving a solution to this one is that simply i dont think there is one. Im seeing a physiotherapist at the minute to work on my chest and shoulders to improve the joints movement. im looking into Yoga and other methods that might reduce the pain or tightness. Im not happy about taking antiinflamatories constantly to keep the pain away so other methods seem to be the way forward. I really dont think sitting at a desk all day helps with this condition but stretches regularly do seem to help keep it flexible. It worries me there are so many guys my age and younger dealing with this. Its not concidered to be something that affects young people apparently.....

Yes many young people are facing this problem, for me also it started when i was around 19. Now i am 25yrs old.

yes with streching i feel bit good and ok , but not completly cured.

My god please provide solution for this.. Its very diff when ur going through this with out knowing the reason behind it.

Regards,

Praveen

I forgot to mention that i was given some ultrasound around my sternum which seemed to relieve some of the tension and losened up the joint quite a bit. im looking into getting one of these machines and going to see if my physio guy thinks its a good idea. i cant see this going away with any kind of stretching, i think its just going to be prevention of the discomfort rather than cure. If ive lived with it for 9 years i think im used to it by now.

Thanks for your post , ru planning to purchase ultra sound machine for you. that should be an costly affair rit. Yes i too feel streching is not cure.. But who knows wat is the cure for this condition. We are in such a situation where we dont even know wat disease is this which is hunting us like. I want ask every one in forum. Did any one resumed their body weight exercise. Cos i feel that may be reason .

Regards,

Praveen

Hi Everyone,

Just read all 16 pages here. Some things I have noticed are very recurring are sitting at a computer, and working out at the gym. I do both and suffer from this problem. It's quite mild for me, and working out definitely temporarily relieves the build up.

Try doing shoulder exercises at the gym, it seems that my shoulder area is generally weakened (cant shoulder press easily sometimes) and pulling my shoulders back (which moves the chest forward) seems to be my method of cracking it. I believe sitting at the computer causes your shoulders to rotate forward and puts pressure on the sternum so corrective posture should be the solution for this.

I am currently 25 and 170lbs, 5foot 11 and have had this problem for about 2 years.

Hi all

I also have this problem, i am 37 years old and have had it for some years now, about 5-6

It has just recently got more uncomfortable, I notice it more after ive been slouching on the sofa

I believe this is problem it do to the way you are sitting, throughout the day and night, as i also work on the computer all day, im now trying to sit with my back straight and it has got better

I have had no injuries, i dont work out, but im a healthy 12 stone male.

No sure if this helps but my way of relieving the pressure is to stick your chest out arms back and cough, also never waist a sneeze, same thing chest out arms back. This cracks it for

Take care fellow strackers!

I have it too.

Did you guys read about the guy who said he fixed himself by swimming?

It sounds like most people here spend a lot of time in front of the computer. That means we all need to work on our posture and rear shoulder stabilizer muscles and clavicle muscles.

It won't be a simple fix like a pill or a stretch. If you want to get better you'll need to rebuild your posture through strength exercises.

One guy here said he fixed himself by doing a lot of swimming. I think that is the smartest thing I've heard so far and I'll be starting that immediately.

For everyone else not willing to put in the work, stop complaining. No doctors are going to be able to help you, so don't waste your time looking.

Dear All,

Please register here so that we can know atleast each oters name. I have been following this site for a year now.
No one came up with solution. Even if someone got it they would have forgoten to update here as its human tedency.
If any one find any solution please update here it will usefull for many of them.
Myself i love to swin but here in our country we dont have affordable swiming pool. Swiming gives a great relief after swim but after some time it starts again. Has any one tried gym again. I am not ready to waste my time and energy in any trail as i have tried most of the things. If any one getting any improvement also please update here.

Regards,
Praveen

I'm 19 years old about 195 and ive had this problem for about 3 years now. I know mine was caused by a bad punch to the chest during a sparring match. Back then it felt more like a couple of bruised ribs. I took about 3 months before i could continue with any extreme physical training or whatnot.
Then about 6 months after that, i started having a heavy pushing pressure on a rib right where it connect to the sternum. I would throw my arm and the area would pop and i'd feel better. This would happen at least once a day. Over time i've had to change how i pop it casue every new time only works for a period of time.
now mostly i grab my hands behind my back and pull, or when im laying on the couch i turn my head to look up and over my shoulders to pop it.
i've seen most of you have said about having a raised area, i actually have an indent where the 2nd rib is, only at the center line. On average i have the collarbone, 2nd and 3rd rib crack.
I havent gone to see a doctor becasue from what my dad has said and from what i can see what you guys experience is, theres nothing that the really do for it.

one thing that i know that actually helps is physical activity, whenever i do exert myself, it may hurt but either later that day or the next day it feels alot better
Can someone tell me if this is the same thing you guys are actually going through, or something different

--Jon

Hi Jon,

Yes almost every one are going through the same. Yes we feel better with exercise. I just do simple streaching exercise.

May be after some days i will start regular exercise. cos my strong theory is that after discontinuing gym i am facing this problem.
and i feel this is musucle problem. Actually i have feeling when we pop its non flexible musucle which causes the sound.
I have to build up myself again but this time i will do it gradually . One of my friend is fitness expert i am planning to take his help.
I will post here if i find it better.

Regards,
Praveen,

i actually look forward to your progress if there is and improvement with exercise.

jon

HEY i just thought that i would happily add that im also one of these unfortunate people who can crack their sternum and sometimes it feels like there is a pressure on my chest when breathing. i do spend a bit of time doing school work on the computer (im almost 16) and i cant say too much for my posture, however i am a very active person. i have been participating on sports for my whole life so have never been unfit. I play tennis for 9- 10 years too, and therefore my right arm is more developed than my left (i dont lift woeghts with my left arm to balance it). The cracking normally comes from the right side, so i was wondering if this had anything to do with it.

its not very painful, but im just wondering what the hell it could be if so many people have this issue!

Once you pop you can't stop.

Its kind of comforting to know there are fellow sufferers out there, although i do feel for the collective pain!

Ive been reading most of the posts in the forum related to the 'cracking sternum' and in about 80% of cases there seems to be instances of bad posture (e.g. sitting at computors, sleeping on your side) and intermittent exercise. I have now corrected my posture always sitting with a straight back and have started to run regularly, the pressure seems to have lifted significantly since making this change with the 'pops' becoming a lot smaller. I'm hoping that by keeping this system up and starting to generally adopt a more healthy lifestyle this affliction might be able to be overcome!

It would be interesting to know how gender specific the 'cracking sternum' is. I'm male and i'm noticing that in a lot of posts this also seems to be the case?

tom