While I have perfectly soft, and beautiful heels, my sister has very dry, with that ugly build up of the skin around the rim of the heels. What is worse, she started complaining that they are cracking from time to time, causing her incredible pain. How come that that I have such soft and she has those thick heels. What causes these heels to crack? Are some people more prone to it than others? Thanks for your answers!

Hi there! Cracked heels are commonly caused by dry skin. This tick skin you were talking about is called callous. It is formed in response to irritation or friction. Callous can be thick or thin and forms in many shapes and patterns. Cracks or fissures that occur on the heels need to be treated; otherwise they may become deep, painful, infected and begin to bleed. Heel fissures are particularly troublesome for people with diabetes as this disease causes poor sensation and impaired wound healing in the foot area. Cracking happens sometimes due to mechanical factors that increase pressures in that area, for example-the way a person walks. There are other factors that can cause cracked heels like: prolonged standing at work or home, especially on hard floors and being overweight - this increases the pressure on the normal fat pad under the heel, causing it to expand sideways. If the skin is not supple and flexible, the pressures may cause the skin to crack.