Hi, I have a problem with my son’s health. My son is 9 years old and he has a sunken chest, a condition he had developed ever since he was born. He was prematurely born so his skeleton didn’t have a chance to develop properly. I have heard that there is a method that sunken chest can be repaired, but it includes cracking of his sternum. By my own opinion and logic I think that this is pretty dangerous and I would like to avoid that. Is there any other procedure that can fix the sunken chest without cracking of the sternum?

Sunken chest can be very disabilitating in young children of both sex and that problem is especially noticeable in boys. They usually have a problem with doing sports since their heart and their lungs are undeveloped due to lack of space in the thoracic cavity. There are procedures that are aimed at surgically correcting this anomaly and increasing the volume of the thoracic cavity. Older methods include quite literally cracking the sternum or breast bone and repositioning it so that more space is made in the thoracic cavity. There are however, some newer and less invasive procedures that don’t include cracking the sternum. One of them includes putting a steel bar inside the chest through two small incisions made on each side of the chest. The bar would support the chest wall over a longer period of time expanding it gradually. The procedure is relatively new and experimental. You should talk to your doctor about this and review some other possibilities of treatment including this one. Good luck to you and your son.

I know that it is scary to have a son with the problems you have spoke of, and maybe there is a reason for them. Look into Marfan Syndrome on the website listed below.

**this post is edited by moderator *** *** web adresses not allowed **

Please read our Terms of Use