I am 25 years old, 6'-2", 188 lbs. Everytime I eat I feel a pain just below the base of my sternum. It kind of feels like there is something swollen there or a lump and when I push on it, it pops. Some sort of pressure is definitely being released, but from what? I feel better after pushing on it a few times. The first time I push on it, it can be pretty loud. My wife has heard it a few times. She's disturbed by the sound and says, "Thats not normal". What is it?

I hope a medical professional answers this interesting question soon.

From 10 minutes research on Google, I would suggest he could ask his doctor about his xiphoid process.

I have it too! What did yours turn out to be? I'm suspecting hiatal hernia..Need to get it checked.

I searched everywhere to see what organ/bone/muscle is in the area affecting me, and found that it might be xiphoid process. Mine doesn't make a noise but there are times it takes my breath away and it seems to swell. Most of the time it worsens after eating or late in the day. There is no comfortable position and pressing on it seems to alleviate it temporarily or changing positions (even sometimes an inch can do the trick). It goes from bothersome to almost painful. Help! What is this???

I have the exact same problem a popping xiphoid process...I diagnosed myself because at age 13 the military doctors said it was nothing. It can definitly be felt, I can definelty hear it...Its is uncomfortable and if not popped sorta painful. I think it happens more at night, too!!( sometimes I can't even lay down) What the heck is it??

OK I have the same problem. I am 6' tall and 180 in good physical shape but I have the same exact problem and cannot find any answers. Sometimes it makes it hard to breathe. I pop it and all seems ok for a while. It comes and goes. A real medical opinion on this sure would be appreciated. =/

My Dr. is sending me to see a thoracic surgeon...

Hi.
My guess is that both of you have a cracked or fractured sternum.
I fractured mine by bending over at an odd angle to pick up
something heavy.
Bad news is they are extremely slow to heal because you are
mobile and re-injure the fracture. Healing time can be in months
or years.
There is a surgical prosthesis called the Talon that can he
surgically implanted to protect the sternum.
Mine pops out (with a little shooter of pain) and hurts for
hours or days. Can be burning or just heavy feeling in chest.
At first they thought it was stomach/gall bladder/bowel
problem but they were all clean.
I found the problem by accident. My stomach was hurting bad
so I pressed down on my sternum just to see what would happen.
It popped and I got instant relief.
It can give symptoms of bowel, or GI problems that don't exist.
Go to your doctor and tell him you need a close up xray of
your sternum.
My two cents.
Dan

Did anyone ever get a diagnose on this... I have it as well. I was thinking that it may have some connection to LES - Lower Esophageal Sphincter... But just a guess. Are any of you guys having any sleeping/snoring issues? Broken sternum does not not seem to really click for me.

My chest has been hurting on and off since I fell violently while passing out, I was wondering why it was hurting so bad, is it really that easy to injure the sternum bone? It hurts even worse when I try to lay down on my back to sleep, so I have to sleep uncompfortably..

RA. Seems likely to me..

I have had this issue for many years now (49 year old, 5'-11", 210 lbs.). I have broken my ribs several times over my life, starting at the age of 15. There are a couple ribs that I have broken a few times. I was always very active; playing heavy contact sports, martial arts, off-road motorcycle racing, etc. The toll of so much trauma to my rib cage has cause a type of arthritis called costochondritis. I often feel discomfort in my upper abdomen, which feels like overeating, gas, abdominal distention, etc. When I press on my xiphoid (small bone at the bottom of the sternum), it pops (sometimes loudly) and I feel a sensation of relief (release of pressure). From what my doctor told me years ago, this is VERY common with costochondritis.

Just my half-cent worth...
Hope this helps relieve some unneeded worry for someone.

Thank you it did make me a little nervous

Sounds like an epigastric hernia to me. I've had one for several years and your symptoms sound identical to my own. Have you ever noticed a bulge in your abdominal wall just a little left of center, about 1 to 2" below your sternum, when standing?