I can’t resist the temptation to try to find something that can push me farther than usual. I am not taking any illegal substances though. I heard of creatine. It is supposed to give me necessary boost and enable me to work out longer and harder. Is that true? Is creatine a good supplement for cyclists?

Creatine supplements are usually taken by bodybuilding athletes who wish to gain muscle mass. It is recommendable to consume creatine with high glycemic index carbohydrates. Also taking high GI carbs in combination with protein is beneficial. Scientific research indicates that taking creatine supplements can marginally increase athletic performance in high-intensity anaerobic repetitive cycling sprints. Studies in swimmers and runners did not produce significant results. Maybe the weight gain is the main reason. Although creatine can increase power during anaerobic exercise it has no significant effect on aerobic endurance. Using it is not considered doping and is not banned by the majority of sport-governing bodies. Still, in the United States, the NCAA recently ruled that colleges should not provide creatine supplements to their players. They have still allowed the players to use creatine independently. On the other hand, in some countries, such as France, creatine is banned.