I'm a keen runner. I would say I train 6-7 times a week, and run approximately 9-10km each session.

I've been taking a protein supplement to assist in my training.

As I'm nearing the end of my proteins, I went to a health store to restock. The girl there told me a few things which has left me a little confused with regard to proteins, and even whether I'm taking the right supplement to aid in my training.

She adviced me that the Aussie Bodies Protein was mainly comprised of Whey Protein Concentrate and as a result wasn't absorbed by the body quickly or efficiently. This isn't what Aussie Bodies claims, as their website even boasts that their protein is among the quickest/efficient absorbing proteins around.

Anyway, I then asked the girl which proteins she would recommend. She spoke about isotopes and how the particles are smaller and are quicker to absorb after training. As I generally take my supplements after I run, I am trying to assess whether this supplement might be more beneficial. Then again, I must quickly advice that the proteins that she recommended are of the GNC brand and although I have no quarrels with their brand, the store seems to have a certain agreement with their company, and as a result would probably be fairly biased when giving advice to customers.

I'm mainly concerned about repairing damage as quickly as possible so that the next day's training isn't allowing my muscles to heal. I am aware that a large part of this can be assisted through good diet, exercise and rest. So, what I'm wondering is, are these the correct supplements that I should be taking to assist my training? Should I be taking supplements at all? If protein supplement is the way to go, can somebody give me advice on which protein is more suitable, isotopes vs concentrate?

Apologies for such a lengthy post but I'll appreciate any feedback I can get!
Thanks.

I have heard that the whey protein is the most absorbable---but I had never even heard of the other type.

I hope someone else can answer your question.

Thanks for the welcome!

Just to clarify isotopes are still Whey Protein... the girl just claimed that the GNC ones had more isotopes as well as Whey Protein concentrate.

Apparently there are differences in all types of Whey Protein. Different Levels of isotopes and levels of Whey Protein Concentrate. The isotope is supposed to be much easier and quicker to absorb.

as far as protiens go i was undfer the impression it's more the TYPE of protien, whether it be soy or whey.

for excersice purposes whey protiens should be avoided due to the ammonia levels they can produce therefore slowing the recovery process. as a dietary supplement whey could be used then but not as an active protien supplement.

persoanlly i would think that "isotope" is a just fancier word for "concentrate" in this buisness

as i past powerlifter and a current runner and endurance enthusiast, the info i have is that whey is whey is whey. the most biologically available food (as i understand) is/are eggs.

i have had success with whey whether it was a gnc product, or another; i think as long as you are seeing good results from your current product i would stay with it.....

now about that carb to protein ratio......

Kel

A load of BS.

Absolute BS.

I agree.

for excersice purposes whey protiens should be avoided due to the ammonia levels they can produce therefore slowing the recovery process...

Absolute BS.

You know, apparently we are not all as smart as you. Could you just politely disagree maybe?

Thanks and have a great day! :wavey:

so what's your back up on this? As an endurance athlete i've noticed better recovery and better muscle with different protiens, this was really before i did a lot of research and noticeing the difference was what made me research.
the biggest notice was in endurance recovery. when ya skate between 200-400+ miles in a week, you pay close attention to things like this. during the off season i do a lot of weigh training as well for my lower body and core. I admit I'm slack on the upper body but upper body doesn't do much for speed and distance skating so it only keep toned.
BTW i use the Hammer-gel line if you want to look at them

What's my backup on this? For starters, read:
Ha E, Zemel MB. Functional properties of whey, whey components, and essential amino acids: mechanisms underlying health benefits for active people (review). J Nutr Biochem. 2003 May;14(5):251-8. Review.
Williams MB, Raven PB, Fogt DL, Ivy JL. Effects of recovery beverages on glycogen restoration and endurance exercise performance. J Strength Cond Res. 2003 Feb;17(1):12-9.
Tipton KD, Elliott TA, Cree MG, Wolf SE, Sanford AP, Wolfe RR. Ingestion of casein and whey proteins result in muscle anabolism after resistance exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2004 Dec;36(12):2073-81.
Borsheim E, Aarsland A, Wolfe RR. Effect of an amino acid, protein, and carbohydrate mixture on net muscle protein balance after resistance exercise. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2004 Jun;14(3):255-71.
Middleton N, Jelen P, Bell G. Whole blood and mononuclear cell glutathione response to dietary whey protein supplementation in sedentary and trained male human subjects. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2004 Mar;55(2):131-41.
Marshall K. Therapeutic applications of whey protein.
Altern Med Rev. 2004 Jun;9(2):136-56. Review.

I really have to go along with the "Good Doctor" here.

All power to you.

If we are to treat these coloums as creditable information why not speak up when something is just plain wrong. I don't see that as being impolite especially when "drwight" backs up his argument with facts.

I would ask the question if "sydney runner" is only running 9 to 10km. six or seven times a week, why would he/she would need a protein supplement?
Of course I don't know how intensive "syd's" training is, but Kms., wise it hardly seems excesive.
Stick to a good balanced diet "syd". (even available in Sydney)

It seems to me that "sid", like most people that contribute to these forums is looking that "magic pill" that is going to enable them to fulfill all their athletic dreams, when I started distance running in the early 70's it was, according to "Runners Weird", vitamin B-15 and Gin-sing, Royal Jelly was another one
What ever happened to vitamin B15, Royal Jelly and Gin-sing ? I was promised I'd be an Olympic champion.

Sorry, I've got off the track.
Once again, well said "drwright", we can all learn from you.

I would like to interrupt this thread to gently remind everyone.... Let's all remember we are all of varying abilities here, from "I ran for the first time today" to "I won my marathon today" with the majority lying in the "I enjoy running for fun or fitness" range. We come here (hopefully) seeking the casual non medical advice of our running peers, nothing more. Several here work in areas that include many of these questions asked here and often graciously offer their professional opinions for free. I think we are all due our own opinions, let's try to respect each other and our wide ranges of experience. We also need to remember (with all due respect to everyone here) that despite any credentials anyone claims, we don't KNOW everyone here and your best advice is sought from your own doctors and professionals in your real life, and this, like any other website out there, isn't necessarily a great source of long standing research, but merely, runner's exhanging tips and ideas, like you would standing around after your neighborhood 5k. Lets play nice. Don't make me use my hall monitor functions, peeps.

Exactly. Thanks.

:1: yeah what the girls said