Hello!
my son trains (he just started) lifting weights and he is only 17. Most of weight lifters are small and amber and I heard that lifting weights stunts children s growth. Is this true?

some exercises actually do stunt children s growth, but if he is lifting weights under professional guidance, I think he should be fine. On the other hand, if he is doing that at home, he should choose exercises carefully and best would be to talk to someone experienced on this field (lifting weights) in person.

I clicked on this topic thinking you were talking about the pre-pubertal crowd, but your son is 17. Nope, he shouldn't have any problems or side effects of weight training as long as he is receiving appropriate guidance and supervision, with guidance on technique, weights, number of reps, etc, he should be absolutely fine. In fact, did you know research proved that weight lifting can even be beneficial for bone development? The only thing, besides making sure he knows what he's doing and is supervised, is to make sure he stays away from steroids. That stuff is bad news all round. 

The whole notion of growth being stunted by weight lifting is
a myth. It didn't stunt the growth of Shaquille O'Neal, David
Robinson, Karl Malone, Michael Vick, etc. They all started
lifting in their early teens, and all have gone on to be well
over 6' tall and star in professional sports.

Dave Draper and Arnold Schwarzenegger started lifting very
young and both are 6'1" or taller. Lou Ferrigno started
working out at 14 years old at the height of 5' 9" and grew to
6' 5" - taller then anyone in his family!

So the answer is no, weightlifting does not stunt height growth, or
any other kind of growth, for that matter. There is no scientific
evidence to support such ideas and, in fact, books such as the
Russian, School of Height, suggest that weight training may
stimulate growth. The latest weight training studies done on
teens showed only positive effects.

Weight Lifting Actualy Increases Your Height I Started Lifting When I Was 13 I Was 4'11 Now Im 15 And I Measure 5'7.

i would agree. at around the age of 11 i started weight training...and i did everything, squats, bench, cleans, etc. im now 20 and am 6' 3" 265lb division 2 offensive lineman.

Everyone's different and yes lifting weights do stun some people who have illness & their body is already stressed. The best advice is to go get a checkup to see first if you are healthy, have no diabetic issues or other kinds of sickness that is stressing the body before starting very heavy weight training. Also please do it under the supervision of an adult with experience.

I had a friend that didn't know he had blood sugar problems and he drank lotsa weight gainers powder that ahd too much sugar and other things that in the end damaged his health to the point he developed an asthma-like sickness. TIll this day he's still being treated for it. Turns out he may have damaged one of his kidneys or something due to the overloading of weights and weight gain powder mix.

Lesson learned is consult a doctor before beginning anything that ahs to do with your body or intaking powdered shake mixes/chemicals.

Erm . . . well, 17 is actually a good age to start. I'm 15 myself, and I weight-lifted when I was 13. I'm 5'8" now, but I stopped lifting a couple of months ago, just as a test. I do running, squats (no weights), pull-ups, dips, and push-ups.

You should know your families height; if he's near the average, above it, or something like that, then he can only gain positive effects.

Well im turning 13 in a month.
I always get made fun of because im so skinny.
my dad is 6'4 and my mom is 5'6
Rigth now im 5'3 and only 83 lbs
Im kinda afraid that if i start working out and using machines that i wont grow much taller.
I think im healthy.
So what do you people recomend?

Fact: No scientific studies have proved that lifting weights stunts growth, it is a common misconception.
Fact: There is absolutely no evidence to suggest such a thing.

Drinking Protien shakes doesn't constitute as weight lifting!!!! Diabetes is a diet issue, not a lifting weight issue....Just like any exercise, diabetics need to replenish their sugar in their system more quickly than others....Again, you are spreading the myth....

No because I think it would really depend on the child's age so it doesn't really matter if you lift weights or not. For example, males grow till the age of 21 so that means your kid still has a lot of time to grow.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Diabetes is a lifestyle/diet issue and can by no means be caused by a protein shake.

Weight training will not stunt growth, and is actually healthy for bones and muscles. Weight training is even recommended by doctors to women who are at high risk for or already have osteoporosis because it helps to maintain healthy and dense bones.

Ensure your child is not dabbling with testosterone boosters until they are atleast 25. It is easy to do it wrong, and when taken improperly, can affect the child's hormones for life and could affect height.

Not all the comments and facts above, including mine, have a scientific base. Who knows how tall the famous or not famous people mentioned, could have been if they would not have lifted weights? They could have been taller or maybe not, all depends on many factors, How much weight did they lifted, When (at what age) did they started lifting weights, How frequent, How long, Their genetics, Their diet (nutrition), Their weight lifting program, The technique used, etc. etc.

Before saying anything else, an Orthopedic Surgeon suggested me these readings: Lowell & Winter's Pediatric Orthopedics and/or Tachdjian's Pediatric Orthopedics. Hopefully we'll find the right answers, and another sugestion, please, do not mislead people, thanks

LOL he's fine. Look at most football players. They start lifting at really earily child hood for football and lok at their heights over 6 foot on average