Good evening, everyone. My husband has been recently diagnosed with crohn’s disease. I know that this is one of the inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD). The thing that bothers me is that my husband likes alcohol. Is he allowed to do that due to the disease he has? What do you think?

Hi, there. Crohn’s disease is a serious disease. It is indeed an IBD. The other one is ulcerative colitis. If one is not disciplined in the treatment and lifestyle changes, then complications may appear. Alcohol can irritate the bowels. In IBDs, bowels are already irritated. Alcohol will only make this condition worse. At the end, you should consult your husband’s specialist for more details. Bye!

Thank you for your advice. I have also found that alcohol can cause malabsorption which can be a problem for people with Corhn’s disease. If my husband doesn’t want to listen to me, I will give him to try alcohol, and then he will see what trouble is. I will consult a specialist as you suggested.