Hello, good people. My husband was diagnosed with crohn’s disease some time ago. It seems that he is not allowed to drink bear. I don’t know how he will be able to do this, since he is a great fan of beer. Why isn’t he allowed to take it? Can someone tell me? Thank you in advance.

Beer can exacerbate the symptoms of an IBD patient. One or two every once and a while may not be problematic for some. But the routine drinker should use caution when drinking while taking certain medications normally prescribed to IBD patients.

Interesting because I have had Crohn's for 30 years and have never heard that about beer. I drink beer almost exclusively (when I drink). It can make me bloated when I drink too much (or don't burp enough!) but other than that, it hasn't caused me to flare up. As far as meds are concerned, there may be some contraindications that you should be aware of as the other poster said. However, if the meds do not have beer/alcohol contraindicated then I would have him try a few beers and see how he feels. Like anything with Crohn's, "you eat what you can eat and don't eat what makes you feel sick." And this varies from person to person in my experience. Of course certain OTC's like Advil can cause flare-ups so beware of drugs or things that universally cause flare ups.