Hello! I’m a 36-year old mom. My 6 year old child is hyperactive and in fact is diagnosed with ADHD. But besides this I have another problem with my son. He has a sleep problem manifested in refusing to go to bed, or simply having a problem falling asleep and when asleep he makes a lot of movements. I want to know if there is any connection between his hyperactivity and his sleep problems. Thanks.

Hi! That’s a good question. You’re right. Recent researches connect sleep and behavioral disorder in sleep. The vital information for you to know is that the sleeping problem can worsen your child’s ADHD condition. It is typically for children with ADHD to be inattentive, are easily distracted, impulsive and hyperactive. In order to reduce hyperactivity problem it is very important to identify and treat sleep problems. When treating sleeping problems on time potential results may be behavior improvement. Until recently it was thought that hyperactivity or ADHD affects sleep, but as I said newest research shows that actually, it is contrary. Sleep problem has impact on thinking, making decision, impulsivity and other behavioral disorder. So, the most important thing here would be to identify sleep problems and treats it right.

Yes, a Hyperactive child has many disorders in which one of them is a sleep disorder.