Hello. I'm 24 year old female and I'm interested to find more about some disease called Degenerative disc disease.
My mother has been diagnosed with this disease few days ago and I don’t know anything exactly about it.
I know only that she suffered from strong back pain for years and that now- she has decided to do something about it.
The thing that frightens me the most is that my mother refuses to tell me anything about this.
So, there are some things that I would like to know such as- Will the degenerative disc disease become a crippling condition? Can it be life-threatening?

Hello. I'm very sorry that your mother has been diagnosed with this unpleasant condition and that’s why I will try to help you understand some facts about it.
Degeneration of the disc is medically referred to as spondylosis, which means presence of narrowing of the normal "disc space" between the adjacent vertebrae. Degeneration of the disc can cause local pain in the affected area and the biggest prognostic problem is that any level of the spine can be affected by disc degeneration.
I will also tell you some facts about therapy. First, I would recommend some physical therapy. I was thinking on extension exercises, such as the McKenzie method, focuses on the muscles and ligaments. During the acute phase of back pain, drugs may be prescribed. Some of these may include narcotics, acetaminophen, anti-inflammatory agents, muscle relaxants, and anti-depressants.

Visit medical sites like http://www.csmc.edu/5757.html to learn about Degenerative Disc Disease (DDD) symptoms, diagnosis, cause and risk factors and treatment options. This will give you a better understanding of the condition and allow you to be of greater support to those around you who are going through it.

My Daughter is 25 years old and is in severe pain in her back that goes down into her legs doctors act like they don't know how to treat this she was told she has degenerative arthritis, Well today she is at the hospital barely able to walk and needs help out of a chair this should'nt be happening to her she is to young..She also has a son that is 2 and they told her the last time she went that she should'nt pick up more then 5 pounds come on..Whats her son suppose to do not want his mother doctors need to get a grip on this and get to healing her..No one in my family has had this they said it can be inherrited really from who..

I'm 17 and have been diagnose with DDD about a year ago. It's not a disease...just a term that doctors use. I've done many things to try to relieve pain such as PT, aqua PT, cortizone injections...ect...every medicine on the planet except pain killers...which they refuse to give me because of my age ? despite the pain. The only real solution to this problem is surgery...which is major for most cases. I hope this somewhat helped...a hot bath is the best not medical remedy for sure

I am 23 and diagnosed with DD about 2 years ago. The 17 year old is right. DDD is infact not a disease, it's a condition. In younger people, it is most often caused by an injury or trauma. In older people, it's quite common. Some people with DDD don't have pain at all and others have almost crippling pain. There is surgery for this condition, however, you have to be in you 50s because it wears the discs above where the affected area is located too fast and it WILL put in you in a wheel chair for the rest of your life, according to my orthopedic doctor. Not to mention, the pain will not get any better. So.. what's the point in surgery? I've tried everything and nothing has worked but percocet and flexeril. They tried the epidural steroid injections today, it works for some and doesn't work for others. However, it was quite painful. The procedure is painful, the steroids make your body cramp up, and walking around is highly not recommended due to the pain you feel. It is best if you go home and rest for the day.