Hello! After quite some time of suffering from the back pain I have been diagnosed with the degenerative disk disease. The disc is situated in the lumbar part of the spine. I have tried conventional methods but they didn’t help much. I am about to have a surgery and am thinking about the options. I would like to ask if anybody had SB III disc replacement surgery to tell me more about it. Thank you in advance!

Hello there! Sorry to hear about your trouble. I haven’t had the surgery but I have been reading about it and may be able to tell you what I have read. This method has been approved by the FDA for the lumbar spine. In this procedure you would get an implant that consists of two endplates made of high quality cobalt chromium alloy. This material has been proven to be extremely well tolerated by the body. The endplates are attached to the vertebral body by means of anchoring teeth along the border. Between these endplates a polyethylene sliding core is placed. This allows near-physiological segment movements with corresponding lateral mobility. SB Charite is designed to mimic the function of a healthy disc. The whole procedure is done by the front ( anterior ) approach. This is all I know. Unfortunately I haven’t read anything on success rates, so I can’t tell you about it. I wish you good luck what ever surgery you decide for.

Hello! I am sorry to hear about all of the problems that you have been having, I had the surgery one year ago this month. I consider it to be a complete success, before having the surgery I was disabled, I couldn't function in society whatsoeever. Since having the surgery I have been great, in fact I can't ever remember feeling so well. I am currently 9 months pregnant and even with all the added weight and strain of the baby I still am feeling well.

I had the l4 l5 and the l5 s1 replaced, it took about 3 months recovery time for me but after that I have been great, I never thought that I would be able to do the things that I do every day now.

I hope tis has helped.

To the guest who had the surgery. Still doing well? Three months is a long recovery, I had heard 50 days is typical for one disc, but I can't find anything how long you have to be out of work. How long before you could go to work? I sit all day at a desk.

I HAD ARTIFICIAL DISC REPLACEMENT ON L4/5 AND AFTER 7 YEARS IT FINALLY FAILED AND BROKE. NOW I AM IN EXTREME PAIN AND MY LEFT LEG IS SWOLLEN AND SURGEON SAID THEY CAN NOT GO BACK IN TO GET IT OUT OF ME. SURGEONS DO NOT TELL YOU THIS WHEN THEY PUT IT IN YOU.I HAVE TO SUE THEM NOW. I AM SCARED NOW CAUSE I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO. AND IT IS AFFECTING MY GROIN AREA AND I AM MORE PAIN NOW THAN I EVER IMAGINED. DO RESEARCH ON IT FROM EUROPE CAUSE THEY BEEN DOING THIS SINCE THE 80,S. WHEN THESE IMPLANTS BREAK ,THEY SOMETIMES CAN NOT GET THEM OUT.I AM GOING TO DIE FROM THIS. I TOLD MY SURGEON TO CUT MY SPINAL CORD CAUSE I CAN NOT TAKE PAIN ANYMORE. DISC IMPLANTS SHOULD BE TAKEN OFF THE MARKET.

AFTER SURGERY FROM LUMBAR ARTIFICIAL DISC REPLACEMENT, IT WAS GREAT AND I THOUGHT NEW TECHNOLOGY WAS GREAT. BUT ALL ARTIFICIAL DISC REPLACEMENT WILL FAIL OVER TIME DUE TO WEAR FROM THE INSIDE MATERIAL.OR IT WILL MOVE OUT OF PLACE OR  THE ENDPLATES WILL DIG INSIDE OF BONE,OR THE METAL IONS WILL GO INTO BLOODSREAM WHICH CAUSES IMFLAMMATION AND HURT LIKE HELL. BUT THEY WILL FAIL AT ONE POINT.AND THEN EVERYBODY WLL FIND OUT THAT THIS IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM,BUT ITS ONLY BEEN 7 YEARS SINCE FDA APPROVED IT OCTOBER 2004. THE UNITED STATES WILL LEARN LIKE EUROPE DID. IT WILL FAIL OVER TIME AND REVISION SURGERY IS VERY DIFFICULT AND LIFE THREATNING.