Hello! My father is suffering from degenerate disc disease. I know that he is in a lot of pain, sometimes feels very weak and numb, is often on medications but I really don’t know what is degenerate disc disease. Is there anybody who can explain this to me? Thx

Hello! Degenerative disc disease (DDD) is not really a disease. It is more of a term that describes changes that occur along the spine. This is a condition where the discs in the spine degenerate, lose their flexibility and their function as cushions to the bone. DDD causes the discs to dry out and shrink, reducing the disc space between vertebrae. Bone spurs and tears in the annulus may develop which can lead to spinal stenosis and disc herniations. There are many treatments for this disorder but I would believe it would be best if you asked your parents about it because then you can know for sure what is with your dad, like which part of the spine is involved and if there are things you can do to help.