I was feeling pain in my neck, cervical part of spine, and it started two months ago. I feel pinches and irritation. I suppose that is reaction of the muscles on the pain. I put some creams with essential oils, you know like aroma therapy to relax my neck. Well, it didn’t work as I wanted. I went to see a doctor and he diagnosed degenerative penis disease. I never had cervical spine or any other part of spine injured. I would like to know what causes degenerative disc disease. Thanks

Spine pain is not always caused by injury. In my case and like in most cases accumulated stress over the years is a reason. I have degenerative disc disease in the lumbar part of spine, but I guess it can occur in the cervical spine too. It means wear and tear changes in the disc, degeneration happen when disc loses blood supply. They say that is normal part of aging process. The pain we feel is a process of the degeneration.

I didn't realize it was considered a "normal part of aging." That's unfortunate. I recently visited the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center website to do some research about Degenerative Disc Disease (DDD) and I found it helpful. You may, too:

http://www.csmc.edu/5757.html