Hello! My mother is 62 and she feels some back pain and numbness and pain in her right leg. She went to the doctor and he took an X-ray of her spine I think. I read the results she got but I am unable to interpret them all. It says that at L4 there is a broad based central disc protrusion. What does this mean? My mom worries that her leg is going to get paralyzed. Is protrusion of the central disc a cause of the leg paralysis?

Hi! The results she gave you basically mean that your mom’s disc is dry and crumbly. It almost certainly got this way because of her bad choice of the lifestyle. She most likely didn’t exercise, she probably took a lot of coffee and cola and very little water and had poor nutrition. I don’t believe that it will cause paralysis but it will certainly make it more difficult for her to walk and do normal everyday activities. She should drink a lot of spring water and of course listen to her doctor.

Look, while a central disc extrusion can be caused by sudden trauma or incorrect lifting and twisting, most of those conditions can develop due to age and natural disc degeneration. As we are getting older, we do lose a lot of water and dehydration can happen. Dehydration can make damage to central disc and that is the main connection.

So, drinking water in this case should be main option for her, I have to agree with this.

My cousin had this and she went to see her doctor. He told her that those things can happen because of temporary paralysis. That was the first time I have heard about this. 

I am sorry that your mom is in pain. I guess that only real doctor can tell you what the prognosis for her leg is. I can tell you that I have heard of a new method called a non-surgical spinal decompression method. According to what I heard it helps with spine problems. It might help your mother too. It is supposed to be a pain-free and relatively quick and inexpensive method. That is all I know. Ask some doctor, maybe they know more.