I have heard that infection of Deintamoeba fragilis may occur at any age. Since my son is 7 years old, I would like to hear more about this infection. His friend was infected, and he was complaining about abdominal pain and diarrhea. Now when he is diagnosed with Deintamoeba, I am afraid for my son, so I would like to know more about it.

Dientamoeba fragilis is a nonflagellate trichomonad parasite. This is one of the smallest parasites, which can live in the human large intestine. Unlike most other intestinal protozoa, its life cycle has no cyst stage. That is why infection between humans occurs with the trophozoite stage. Organisms move most actively in fresh feces, but they quickly round up when left standing. These microorganisms of Dientamoeba fragilis are sensitive to an aerobic environment, and die and dissociate when placed in saline, tap water, or distilled water. The mode of transmission is believed to be through the eggs of Enterobius vermicularis, and possibly through direct fecal-oral spread. Organisms of Dientamoeba infect mucosal crypts of the large intestine that are located close to the mucosal epithelium, from the cecum to the rectum. However, the cecum and proximal colon usually are affected, so this parasite is not known to be invasive and does not cause cellular damage. It may invoke an eosinophilic inflammatory response in the colonic mucosa. Probably, that is why symptoms of Dientamoeba fragilis are related to the superficial colonic mucosal irritation, similar to some other parasites.