Hi. My uncle was diagnosed with carcinoma. He said it means he has a colon cancer which started in the lining of large intestine. He calls these linings mucosa. What is mucosa? How is colon cancer treated? I am not convinced he has colon cancer. He suffers from diarrhea, abdominal pain, and he lost his weight.

Hi. Mucous membranes, or mucosa, are linings of ectodermic origin, covered in epithelium. You can see mucosa at the nostrils, lips, ears, genital area and the anus. The symptoms of colon cancer include diarrhea, abdominal pain, weight loss, blood in the stool, anemia, and intestinal obstruction. Therapy depends on the stage of the cancer. Stage 0 can be treated by cutting out the lesion. For stages I, II and III, surgery is necessary to remove the cancer.

Hi there,
Having colon cancer is very dangerous and if I am not mistaking this is one of the most common cancers in humans. How long has he been having this problem? I know that early diagnose can easily lead to complete cure of the cancer. Now the mucosa is the lining of the inside the colon which produces the mucus that makes your bowel movements much easier. And it there is no mucus the bowel movements will be complicated and often constipation occurs. Has he had any problems with his bowel movements? Is he experiencing constipation? I hope that this helped you a little bit.

All the best,
Danella