I have a friend who told me he has enterobacterial infection with salmonella. He explained it can be produced by bacteria that normally live in the human digestive tract without causing serious disease. However, in his case it was caused by bacteria that enter from the outside. His main symptom was bloody diarrhea, which I found as a serious condition. Can you tell me more about this, for example is that normal to have bloody diarrhea in this condition?

In many cases, these infections of enterobacteria infections are nosocomial. This means that they can be acquired in the hospital. Diarrhea caused by enterobacteria is a common problem and is serious. It is estimated that each person in the general population has an average of 1.5 episodes of diarrhea each year. It is higher rates in children, institutionalized people, and Native Americans. This type of enterobacterial infection can range from a minor nuisance to a life-threatening disorder, especially in infants, elderly persons, and AIDS patients. Enterobacterial infections in the digestive tract typically start when the organisms invade the mucous tissues that line patient’s digestive tract. Bloody diarrhea is sometimes called dysentery, and it is produced by EHEC, EIEC, some types of Salmonella, some types of Shigella, and Yersinia. In dysentery or bloody diarrhea, the infection is located in the colon. In this case, cells and tissues are destroyed, inflammation is present, and antibiotic therapy is usually required. The diagnosis of enterobacterial infections is complicated by the fact that viruses, protozoa, and other types of bacteria can also cause bloody diarrhea.