I am worried about my daughter. Few days ago she felt pain in her abdomen. Naturally, I took her to the hospital where she was examined. She was diagnosed him with appendicitis, and I would like to know more about this condition. What is the treatment?

Inflammation of the appendix is called appendicitis. The appendix is a closed-ended, narrow tube that attaches, like a worm, to the first part of the colon (cecum). The inflammation occurs when the opening from the appendix into the cecum becomes blocked. This blockage can be caused by build-up mucus within the appendix, swollen lymphatic tissue that also blocks the appendix. The bacteria that are normally found in the appendix begin to invade the wall of the appendix. The appendix can rupture if the infection and inflammation spread through the wall. The most common complication is the perforation of the appendix that can lead to a periappendiceal abscess or diffuse peritonitis. This is basically the infection of the entire abdomen and pelvis. Blockage of the intestine that causes nausea, vomiting and others, is a less common complication. The most feared complication, in which the infecting bacteria enters the blood and travels to other parts of the body, is sepsis. When it comes to treatment, an appendectomy is usually performed. Antibiotics are almost always prior to surgery and as soon as appendicitis is suspected. I am sure that everything will be ok.