Hi
I became violently ill during a backpacking adventure in South East Asia back in 1999 (at the age of 22). I lost about 10-15 kilos in a matter of weeks, and when I returned to Europe, Giardia Lamblia was found in my body.
As the doctors I saw knew nothing about this parasite, I was given penicillin four times in a year until I was given proper medication. During this year, I weighed 73 kilos (at 6'3, so a fairly low weight for my height), although for such a weight, I still had quite a lot of body fat around my belly/abdominals.
Although the Giardia was finally cleared a year later, my symptoms remained and I saw gastro specialists and was over the next four years misdiagnosed with IBS, IBD, Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, etc. I was also given a wide range of various medications to try.
Over the years I kept putting weight on, despite exercising and eating healthy.
In 2004, now living in Sydney, I was referred to a specialist and had a histopath test which revealed I had a number of parasites in my body: Dientamoeba Fragilis (in high numbers), Blastocstic hominis, Entamoeba coli cysts, Endolimax nana cysts, but no Giardia anymore.
I was given strong medication and over a one year period all parasites were cleared. However, between 1999 and 2006 I had put on 20 kilos (to 93 kilos!!!), despite trying to keep my weight at around 80, 85 kilos.
Because of this I went to a doctor and was referred to a dietician and also given Reductil. It is the first thing that has made me loose any weight. In less than two months I've now lost 10 kilos, but I still have an abnormally large belly, which I can't understand.
It wasn't until the parasites were gone I actually put on any muscles either. For years I went to the gym without any result. In the last 10 months however, I've put on a significant amount of muscle, which I'm very pleased with!

I know that in underdeveloped countries, kids with parasites sometimes get huge bellies. Can something similar have happened to me? I understand that the combination of parasites I had, for so long as well, is extremely rare, and doctors simply don't know what to do with me.
Since I go to the gym about five times a week and eat healthy, I'm seriously concerned about having such a big belly still. I intend to lose another few kilos, but worry there will be no difference around the abdominals.

So basically I am wondering if there is something the parasites could have done so the body is not reducing the body fat level around my stomach.

I would be grateful for any information as I'm seriously consider liposuction, which sounds crazy for a 28-year old weighing 80 kilos (hopefully soon).

Many thanks

I'm no doctor or nurse, but in reading your question, I thought - maybe it's scar tissue the parasites caused? Scar tissue cannot be depleted except by surgery. Just a thought to consider.

I think I have the same problem.

I'm 6'4' and about 110 kilos - which is not bad for my height. The rest of my body is thin, but I have a large belly. I'm going to try colonics or possibly get lipo if necessary in the US.

i too have the exact problem. Its been two years since i have struggles with gas pains. I had a baby two years ago and still look pregnant. I was confirmed to have giardia lamblia cysts in my stool tests and have been struggling with constant belching and gas. My stomach gets distented every few days and settles. Milk often helps. I am undergoing some more tests to see if i have any other allergies. I am now convinced its the giardia thats causing all my heartaches and stomach problems. Thanks alot. Flagyl is the only cure for it I understand

I am suspicious that my son has parasites, but his stool tests have come back negative for parasites-did youhave any false negative results from parasite tests?

I also have the same problems. I have been belching for yrs my girlfriend has told me time and time again to go to the doctor and get this checked out. I am now nervous because it has been so long. I am in fairly good health. I walk daily at least 5 miles a day to and from work. I have no muscle what so ever, not even in my legs. I do crunches and this stomach still does not want to leave. I have been to the doctor countless times and everyone tells me I am ok. I've had blood test for all types of things and yet and still I am fine. I am going to try and talk to my doctor about this possible problem and see if he can help me.

For the "big belly question" for little kids in third world countries, look up kwakishor and marasmas disease. This is a protein deficiency, usually.

Hello Anderson, for the last six months I have known that I have parasites and have visited at least three doctors, all with negative results. My stool tests came back negative and for the most part the doctors are clueless about this problem. Can you please, please, advise which medication was prescribed to eradicate the problem so that I can be treated and reclaim my life again.......Frustrated. ***** - Thanks -

**edited by moderator**

I've experienced the same symptoms as you've described. I was a 'gym rat' and worked out 4-5 days a week for 2 to 3 hours at a time without being able to lose that tub around the middle.

Well, after years of just assuming it were just age creeping up and the illogic of sweating up a storm and not being able to get rid of the inner tube I looked for any solution. Look up drnatura.com...I'm not in sales nor will I receive any kind of product or commission for saying this...

It's only been 5 days and I've already seen a grotesque mix of recently dead creatures that decided to squat and claim territory inside somewhere. It's been shocking to see that stuff but better out than in!

Just my personal experience, best of luck to you and good health.

ReyPlacido

I was born in England, and upon moving to the US at age 6 (10 years ago) got parasites. I went on antibiotics, and the parasites went away. A week after I went off the antibiotics, my bugs were back. I've pretty much constantly had parasites (clostridium difficile & blastocystis hominis) since then, except for when I'm actually on the antibiotics. I don't have the problem that you are describing however. It could be the specific types you have, but it's probably not because you have parasites in general.

I have almost the same problem, except that despite all the symptoms of being skinny in general but quite fat on my belly, and not putting any muscles on, i am VERY tired. I can not do more than a 6 hours shift every day at work, otherwise my stomach will start hurting and i will end up throwing up at work, and shiver while I'm sweating, i also get very pale. I feel hungry almost all the time, and i cant just stand for a long time. I either have to sit down, or walk around, otherwise i will be very sick on my stomach when i work or in other conditions.

You could try diatomaceous earth to make sure the parasites are gone. I started my first round today. It apparently cures a LOT of problems related to parasites. There are a lot of web sites and reviews about DE. I ordered from Amazon. I am also doing the complete fluoride cleanse found here:

I started running appx 12 miles a week 1.5 years ago. I've lost almost a solid 30 pounds. The belly fat has remained stubborn. I've also experienced unexplained bloating and severe...and I do mean severe...seasonal allergies since moving to our current home 13 years ago. I've tried local honey and that has helped somewhat...maybe only 6 weeks of torture instead of 3 months. I have high hopes, based on reviews I've read, that DE will get rid of the cause

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

hi all

this has recently saved my life..

please google Hydrogen Peroxide for parasites. 

there is a multibillion dollar scam out there - it's called medication

I'm dealing with this exact same problem, and this all started two months before I got pregnant. Now that I am pregnant doctors are dismissing this condition as being a part of the pregnancy and they are refusing to do any kind of parasite test on me. It is maddening especially when I know I have parasites because I can see it in my s#@t.

Sometimes such health conditions lead to lactose intolerance or fat absorption issues. Both these issues may lead to fat stomach. Get tests for them done to make it certain.