Few days ago my son felt pain in his abdomen. I took him to the hospital where he was examined. The doctors diagnosed him with appendicitis. How does the appendicitis occur? What is the treatment? Will my son be ok?

Appendicitis is the inflammation of the appendix. The appendix is a closed-ended, narrow tube that attaches to the first part of the colon (cecum), like a worm. Appendicitis occurs when the opening from the appendix into the cecum becomes blocked. The blockage is caused by build-up mucus within the appendix. Other cause can be swollen lymphatic tissue that also blocks the appendix and the bacteria that are normally found in the appendix begin to invade the wall of the appendix. If the infection and inflammation spread through the wall, the appendix can rupture. The most common complication is the perforation of the appendix that can lead to a periappendiceal abscess or diffuse peritonitis (the infection of the entire abdomen and pelvis). A less common complication is blockage of the intestine that causes nausea, vomiting etc. Sepsis is the most feared complication in which the infecting bacteria enters the blood and travels to other parts of the body. When a diagnosis of appendicitis is made, an appendectomy usually is performed and antibiotics are almost always prior to surgery and as soon as appendicitis is suspected. If your son is under supervision of a doctor, I am sure that everything will be ok.

Hey mam, I am sorry for your son. Look,  when it comes to the appendix, you should know that this is a small, worm-like appendage attached to the colon.It usually occurs when the appendix becomes blocked. That is one of the ways how bacteria invade and infect the wall and lumen of the appendix. Now, it depends on which stage his appendicitis is. Doctors may decide to treat the patient just with medications. Also, you should know that this is rare, and the infection would need to be very mild.Sometimes, doctors can suggest that the appendix will be surgically removed if there are some complications, but it usually happens if the patient was diagnosed with acute appendicitis and if the condition is worse. 

I had an appendectomy back in october of 2009. I thought what I had was food poisoning. I had really bad gas and I felt extrmemely bloated. I was not nauscious, however. I endured the pain for 3 days and finally gave up and went to the er. I was told I had an infection and they did a ct scan which confirmed my appendix was inflamed and infected and also my white blood count was through the roof. I unfortanately had to have an open appendectomy due t the fact the doctor told me it couldn't be done laparoscopically because it was I think he said buried up behind my cecum. I was in such awful pain and the medication(dilauded) did nothing. I wish they would have given me morphine. Most medication does not work on me. I have an incredibly high tolerance to what seems to be everything. I ended up going to my primary care the day after I was released from the hopsital. he gave me a combo of ibuprofin, a muscle relaxant, vicodin and a cortizone shot. That was a fabulous combo. It worked wonders. But I now can no longer tolerate any form of vicodin. Any way, hope all worked out with your son.