My brother had pain in his abdomen and fever. Mom and dad took him to see a specialist, and he kept him in hospital. Mom explained me that he is going to have appendectomy. What is appendectomy? If I understood correctly, they are going to remove part of intestine. Is this neceassry, do I have to do it too? He is 16 years and I am 14 years old.

OK I’ll tell you what appendectomy is. Appendectomy is surgical removal of appendix (it is small, finger-shaped pouch of intestinal tissue extending from the cecum, part of large intestine). It is probably inflamed of infected if they want to remove it, because if it becomes perforated this can lead to infection of the entire abdominal space, which can be fatal. It doesn’t mean that you will have to do same thing, but it happens that surgeons remove appendix anyway in order to prevent future problems. For example, I am 30 now and I still have my appendix, and thank good I never had any problems with it.