I've just found this website and am really relieved to find other people out there like me. I have been suffering from hives, DPU, and angiodema for 20+ years. It started in my early twenties with swollen feet. The doctors here said it might be gout. I then broke out into a severe case of hives = over 90% of my body, including my face, lips, eyes - everything. This bout lasted for about one year. I was on antihistamines of every kind and also prednisone. At first I thought the prednisone was the best medicine ever - until I started to experience all the side effects, weight gain, bad moods - ect. I went from doctor to doctor for years and had every test possible done. Kidney, rhueamotiod (sp?) arthritis, lupus, thyroid. Until I finally went to the Mayo and a doctor there told me what I had. At least I had an answer but not a cure.

I have been hospitalized three times for this ailment - mainly because the hives went into my stomach and intestines and caused intense pain and digestive problems. Zantac works wonders. I have been on every anti-histamines possible. As about every two years I experience a major breakout of hives and swelling. Otherwise it's what I call minor. But it's still hard to live with - especially the feet swelling - it sure has curtailed my activities - I virtually go to work and do housework and that's about it otherwise I suffer from an outbreak. Any major activity has me breaking out in hives and different swollen body parts!!

I find that stress definitey makes the worse. Also does alcohol - anything fermented such as beer or wine - is hard for me to tolerate.

What I would like to know is does anyone experience extreme fatigue with this. I know the medications can do this. But even without the medication when I have an outbreak I get so tired. I also experience fever, chills, sweating. I do believe that this is an autoimmune disease. Because I find that when I am run down my symptoms get worse.

It would be great to hear from you. Thanks.

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear that you've been dealing with that but I do know a few people who have autoimmune disorders and I do know that tiredness can be related to that. I'm sorry that youv'e been dealing with all that but I think that what you're experiencing is fairly normal. Does anyone else have experience with autoimmune disorders to back me up on that?

Hi all,
In response to 'is it normal to feel fatigued with this'? I have had DPU for 5 years now and very much experience the symptoms of extreme fatigue and flu like symptoms regularly, that isn't something that the doctor will tell you or any of the literature you read! I Have given up on medication as I really don't want to get into the side effects as all medication will have side effects, I did try steroids in the past which work fantastically however you don't want to be putting those in your body long term. I agree with stress it does get worse. I have also been seeing a Kinseologists for the last year and it does help to relieve stress therefore calming the reactions, however I still can't do much in the way of exercise (which I desperately want to do) without my body swelling and getting a fever. Does any one have any ideas as to how you can build that up? I am a runner and am doing a half marathon at the end of may and just can't get a grip on training because of the swelling?
I do appreciate what you are all going through this is such a depelitating illness.

hi all

I have a moderate case of dpu. feet hands and body. when really aggravated i get flue like symptoms and really become debilitated. good news is that i am into my 9th month of triathlon training. i work out 6 days a week and find that my hives are the worst on my day off. it has really helped my condition. try planning your workout so the symptoms start about one hour after bedtime. i sleep with a bottle of bactine by my bed which is great for surface itching.

I have had hives/uticaria and discovered that my testosterone was below normal. Going for treatment soon. Not sure if this was main cause