Hello, I am guy who is 27 years old, and today I was diagnosed for Delayed Pressure Urticaria. I want to know everything I can about this condition.Is there anyone who can help me on this subject.

I have this condition for a year now, so I am able to answer some of your questions about this matter. In average this condition is with you for 9 years and the outcome can not be predicted in my case.Lesion duration in my case is around 38 hours.By the way, how did they diagnosed the condition in your case? Did they use dermographometer testing?I am afraid that the only treatment is using the Systemic corticosteroids. I doesn’t think that anyone know any other way.Well that is about it.Good luck to you.

Hi I too have just been diagnosed as having this after been passed from pillar to post by various GP's after telling me to swallow Anti Histermines like they were going out of fashion, all I can say, is that I find thay keep cool really helps, putting insoles in my shoes, and not wearing alot of tight clothing, th eonly problem that I get is sleeping, I tend to wake up will alot of swellings down the side that I have been laying on, and sometimes the swelling on my face were I have been in contact with my pillar means taht I cannot open the eye on that side, but Hey, it has just been a matter of adapting!, I wish you luck I can appreciate what you are going through

Hi there, I have had dpu since i was 18 yrs old i am 36 now and have tried every tablet on the market, the best ones was imunosuppessents, but even they stopped working after a while, all i can suggest is learn to cope and exept it, as gps dont care, but if you need to chat just send me an email and i will try to help.

Hello, My name is James and my wife suffers from Delayed Pressure Urticaria and has for years. We believe this is connected to her allergies to a very long list of things. The vast majority of Doctors have never even heard of DPU, and the 2 Allergists we have dealt with just seem to want to put her on prednisone (a steroid) which causes multiple horrible side-effects and is NOT safe for long-term use. If anyone has any info to share please, please, please contact us at ***** We are desperate for any info or support groups.

We are now considering herbal or homeopathic cures, and have even considered her adopting a vegan diet. We are desperate so hope someone out there can give us some info.

Thank you.

**edited by moderator**

Hi There,

I have had DPU for 13 years now. I have been taking several medications for years and most of my symptoms occurr at night or as soon as I get into bed. Two years ago I had a life changing event when I lost the use of my shoulder and voice, I was then diagnosed with urticarial vasculitis and treated with a drug called plaquenil. Since I have been on this drug it has changed my life. It took 6 months before I noticed a change in my symptoms. I am back to being able to wear shoes, use scissors, gardening, walking and standing and even cutting sandwiches without my hands swelling up. I see two Drs now, and Immunologist and Rhumetologist and I have blood tests every six months to check on my sed rate and lupus markers. At my last visit all of my bloods were normal for the first time, I am delighted.

I am not saying that this drug may help you but never give up looking for answers.

Please be careful when trying naturopathic drugs as these can create havoc with our fragile immune system, in fact they can make things worse. Naturopathic treatments triggered my hives in the first place and I wish I never took them.

I hope this information is helpful to someone else with this disorder.

Regards,

Mootie

I've had DPU for 4 years now along with regular idiopathic urticaria. That has settled down now and I just put up with theDPU. Mine does not sound nearly as bad as getting it from the bed, but tight clothes, gardening etc will cause it about 6 hours dokwn the track. They last for 12 hours then settle down to what feels like a bruise for about a day or so. I'm on Plaquenil too - but this was initally for the IU, then discovered I have this too.

What i'm interested in finding out is - about the birth experience of someone who has DPU as I have just found out that i'm pregnant. Natural birth sounds like it could be quite traumatic down there when you have DPU. Injection sites cause lesions too so i'm assuming a stitch up for a c section will do something too.

I think I have this! I have had the same symptoms for about 10 months now. Swelling and itching several hours after hard pressure on my skin. Some times my muscles hurt to in that area. I have been so worried about what is going on with me. I do not have insurance so I have not been to the doctor for it. I have tried looking it up online before with no luck since I did not know the name of it, only the symptoms I have . I was looking again today because of a very bad flare up and found all kinds of info and now I think I know what is wrong with me! I am so excited to actually know what is going on with me but disapointed to read there is nothing you can do for it. I am interested in any information anyone has. And I am super happy to hear about other people with the same thing. Not that it is a good thing. Just nice to know I am not the only weird person with this unexplainable disease.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Hi there fellow sufferers!

I was diagnosed with DPU 4 years ago and have tried various medications, none as good as prednisilone which although i cant take continually i will take short courses when i have a particularly bad flare up or when i know i'm going to be more active, such as going on holiday.
I would love to know how the lady who was pregnant got on. I have been unable to find any info on DPU and childbirth and since i have already had 2 children pre DPU both naurally and c section i am very concerned about what effect my dpu would have on either of these.

To the last person who hasnt been to doctors yet, just to let you know muscle pain is a definate symptom and the one which gives me the most trouble regardless of medication which helps more with the itching and swelling

I had severe DPU for 5 or 6 years that would leave me limping with huge painful lumps/giant hives on the soles of my feet or hands that were so swollen I could not hold use them for hours. It was quite painful. Then one day-GONE. I have been hive free for 2 years now. I tried many remedies over the years--what worked best for me was loose fitting clothing, loose shoes, frequent position change and ice for my hands and feet. Rubbing or scratching the hives made them larger and more painful. None of the drugs really worked for me. I sincerely hope and pray you folks find relief soon.

I have DPU and because of the rareity of this disease, information is near impossible to come by. What are this boards rules about giving email addresses for direct contact? If they don't delete this my email is JasonDu16 at hotmail.com

I have had DPU for about 5 years. My allergist told me that it will last for about 10 to 20 years. I take zyrtec and relefen and this combination works great! I make sure that I wear very good comfortable shoes, so no more cheap ones. Loose clothing is good. I do physical labor, but now know when enough is enough. Because if you do too much, you'll wake up in the middle of the night with a fever and swollen itches everywhere. Also, don't climb too many stairs or your knees will be unbearable. If you do have a flare up, getting cool is a very good thing. They should be gone by the next day. Hope this helps.

I also have DPU. I am on no medication for it and suffer daily. My DPU can show up anywhere but I mostly have complications with my feet. I can walk for miles but can't stand for 5 minutes without complicatons.

I wanted to let you know that I have had three children since my condition and I had no complications with the pregnancy or DPU during delivery or after. They were natural births and big babies (9.15). I hope this gives encouragement for those of you with the questions about pregnancy.

Hey all,

I too have developed DPU. Mine started in late 2007 with a viral infection. I've noticed a HUGE difference in severity with alcohol consumption. Even a single beer or glass of wine makes me far more susceptible to flare ups for days afterwards. I'm an immunologist, so I've treated myself somewhat like a guinea pig by running several experiments (controlled as well as possible). Since elimating alcohol completely my DPU has improved markedly but still occurs at times. At least I can ride my bike again.