This is going to sound strange! For the last couple of years I have been having these "flares" that an explanation cannot be given for. The first time it happened it was on my lip. I felt an itch on my upper right lip and within 5 minutes it started to swell. The swelling actually extended out to my cheek. It kind of felt numb, but not completely. It was huge...literally! After about 4 hours it started to go down. The next morning it was totally gone. This was not a cold sore, I've had those. There was no sore. It itched and was swollen...that's it. The next thing to happen was on my foot. The bottom of my foot suddenly started to itch, so naturally I scratched. I then felt like something was stuck to the bottom of my sock, because I could feel that I was walking on something, only there was nothing there. I almost felt like a marble. I took my sock off and found nothing except that my foot was swollen, itching, painful and was sort of pink. The third thing that happens, and the mot painful, is the underside of my wrists. The same exact thing happens...pinkness, itching and pain, mostly burning. I have tried to put all of this on food, detergent, allergies, etc..There s no pattern. A flare could last for 2 hours or 2 days! My doctor says he doesn't know what it is, its not dangerous, an dont worry. Well, I AM!!! I would love to hear back from someone that has experienced this or anyone that knows what this is.

Currently as I'm writing this am having the same symptoms you describe under my feet, it started about 4-5 months ago, were swelling of the lips, tongue and side of the mouth swells up, and most recently started to get the swelling under my feet with the same description you noted, also my hand and my wrist, all these caused an itching feeling and felt very warm to touch and is difficult to walk on. my wife and i thought it maybe caused due to an allergic reaction, i did go to en allergist and after various tests he indicated that i am not allergic to anything. Now my wife and i are very concerned and planning on going to see my doctor soon. I will keep you posted as soon as i hear anything.

OMG...I just had this happen to me. I ate a chocolate apricot cake, something I have never had. My foot had this crazy itch (left foot) and then I was walking and it felt like the outside of my foot had like gum or something stuck to the bottom of it. It stopped itching when I felt the swelling. Let me know what you find out.

The same exact thing that you have described has happened to me and much more regularly recently. I have been told it is stress, but I don't feel stressed. I know it isn't allergies because I have kept a diary and there is no pattern as in your case I too would like some help in clarifying it.

I also have been having unexplained swelling of my tongue, wrists, bottom of my feet and lip, spreading up in my cheek. I have kept a food journal and can't identify any food pattern. But I also wonder if it it stress related. Yesterday I had to work three jobs, and by mid afternoon the bottom of my right foot had began to ich and swell. Then about 2 am I woke up and my right lip was swelling, which has spread up my cheek toward my eye. I have always taken Benedryl and it has seemed to help.
I would really like to understand what is causing this also. This has been happening to me for over two years. I have talked to my doctor and he can't really give me any answers.

Wondering if the parts that are swelling had been exposed to the cold in any way, whether it be snow, cold water, walking on a cold floor, handling ice etc? I had this happen as a teenager, and now in my 40's it is returning. I was diagnosed by an allergist with Cold Urticaria, literally an allergy to th cold. Any exposed skin would swell, itch, and then it would go away after awhile. The medication for it is Periactin. I solved most of this problem by moving from cold New Hampshire to nice warm Florida!

I have similar issues. It started several years ago when I first got a feeling of walking on packages of ketchup beneath the skin on my feet. Hard patches and very itchy. It seemed to be triggered by drinking diet soft drinks, especially Diet Coke, but I have had flare ups without consuming any drink, so go figure. From there I got swelling of the index and or middle fingers on both hands with or without swelling of the feet. This new symptom seemed to be associated with taking Tylenol and Advil but sadly I also got the swelling without taking these either. Following this, I have had swelling of the lips but strangely the bottom right half or top right half and never at the same time. On a particularly bad episode about 18 months ago most of the right side of my face was swollen - now the eyelids included - along with an index finger and the feet. I thought I was allegic to bananas or processed meat but removing these from my diet made no difference. I went to the doctor and was referred to an allergist. Unfortunately (and fortunately) I am not allergic to anything but the allergist suggested I take 2 Reactine when these symptoms show up as I may be allergic to something that is not tested for. I'm thinking it must be something environmental but I have no idea what it could be. All of the swelling areas start with an itchy, irritating feeling that leads to swollen, itchy areas that stay swollen from 4 hours to 2 days. It happens any time of day and during any season. I take the Reactine but the resolution of the swelling takes so long, I'm not convinced it does any good.

This has been happening to me for the past 3 weeks I don't understand it either. After searching online I found something that seems like it could be the answer, it's called ACUTE ANGIOEDEMA. Look it up and let me know what you think. My symptoms are Lip swelling and wrist swelling (right by the veins) only lasting for about 1-5hours.

I am having the same problems. It started with itching on hands and wrists, then lip. Once the itching goes away the swelling eventually goes does. I've used Benedryl spray that I keep in my purse because this happens anytime anywhere. That seems to help with the itching.

I've experienced the wrist, foot, tongue and lips since I was in highschool. I'm 38 now. For a period of 15 years the symptoms stopped. Over the last year and a half they have reoccured and more often than before. Good luck at finding a reason. I've just learned to live with it. The itching is always a sign though. I've chalked it up to the skin of the area stretching whichbis why it starts to itch. At least i get a warning. I hate it when it happens to both feet at t&e same time! I usually end up walking on my heels.

Spontaneous itchy swelling of extremities.....I hope someone reads these comments and can help us. Im a 32 year old 110 lb mom from FL. It all started 6 years ago when I got itchy small clear blisters on my hands and elbows, doctor said it was exzema from using cleaning supplies. I was prescribed steroid cream and it eventually went away. Now... I get spontaneous swelling on different extremities one at a time. It will start off like a tingly itch, like when you get a bug bite and then it will get warm and swell, but there is no bite. It happens on parts of my feet, hands and just recently, the left side of my top lip and left cheek on my face. It lasts for about 24-48 hours and now that the swollen lip has past, my left hand is beginning to itch and swell on my palm. I'm not doing anything different, Im a stay at home mom so I am not around alot of people, so what the heck is happening to me? I want to be sure these aren't symptoms of something worse. When I get the itchy spot on my foot, I too find it hard to walk hours later after it has swollen. It feels like a giant blister. The one thing I can say for a fact, is that it starts off in a small spot and spreads the swelling 150% to the local area around it in about 8 hours. It also mostly happens at night and I smoke 1/4 pack per day. I don't have all the money or insurance to see a doctor or multiple doctors as others did so if anyone has these same symptoms please let me know if you find out what it is. Antihistamines do not work for me at ALL.

About 5 years ago my symptoms began. I would have flare ups every few months started with my lip, I took Benedryl and it passed after about 24 to 48 hours. The next day I woke early in the morning to find my tongue was swollen, I could not ignore this, I took Benedryl again and called my doctor. I had to be given epinephrine and benedryl, it took 45 mins at the doctors office for the swelling to go down. I then had to follow up with the doctor after a week of taking steroid medication allergy medication and acid reducer. The symptoms then would pass and leave the doctors scratching their heads. Finally my feet would begin to itch and they would become red and swollen. It would be hard to walk so back to the doctor. After being treated about 4 times the doctor ran some blood work. I was tested for lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and thyroid disorders. All of these tests came back normal. The last time I saw the doctor for my tongue swelling a second time they told me stress induced internal hives! I don't know what to think anymore, these things keep happening every few months and it is very discouraging to go to the doctor anymore and it is very frustrating to have a flare up.

I have changed all my shoes thinking expensive shoes that don't put any pressure on my feet will help and it did for a little while I guess, but now regardless of my earth shoes or my Birkenstocks I am still having trouble! Any feedback is welcome!

I'm the 33 year old mom from FL who replied earlier to this post. I found an article on "Mast Cell Disease". The symptoms are familiar to me except the intestinal problems. It makes sence that my body is overreacting to something. It is getting worse and I am still researching my symptoms. I will reply back when I have more info...

I too have the symptoms that others here have described. It started as pain and swelling in my hands and arms without the itching. Those came along later. It could be as simple as Raynaud's disease. ( I was diagnosed with that, but it was more than that-see below) Read the article about raynaud's in the following link. It is one of the best explanations I have seen in all my years of researching these types of conditions.

My symptoms first started 17 years ago....I am now 49. I went to every kind of doctor you can imagine to try and find out what was wrong with me. My mom worked for a neurologist at Emory and she talked to one of them and they asked if I had blood work done. Up to then no one had. They gave me a battery of tests and several came back significant. ANA was elevated as was my sed rate (these are both blood tests). This discovery had me on my way to a rheumatologist and that was the best thing that could ever happen. My grandmother had rheumatoid arthritis, had several relatives with diabetes....all immune disorders....so we knew it might be something in that family.

To this day I don't know if it is lupus, RA, fibromyalgia, or something else because they are very hard to diagnose. I have an undiagnosed connective tissue disorder. It sometimes takes many years to make a conclusive diagnosis and for people like me they really don't know. (To the person above that mentioned their doctor did test for lupus and was negative.......there is no single test for lupus. Hopefully there will be one day because it is a very misunderstood disease and once it is on your radar screen, you will be amazed how many people you know have it or someone they know has it. The American College of Rheumatology has guidelines that if you have 4 of 11 possible symptoms it can be diagnosed as lupus.)

I began to have many other immune related things happen....food allergies....thyroid. I read everything I could get my hands on about all these conditions. Interestingly - as my rheumatologist told me I would - I got much better when I was over a very stressful time in my life. I didn't have any real symptoms for maybe 10 years. Then I have occassional flares. Sometimes very mild and quick and some kick my butt for a little while. I am back under a rheumatologist's care and for now we treat symptoms and I am taking plaquenil.

Hopefully I haven't scared anyone...I know I was scared at first because I was young and had no idea what was wrong with me and if I would have a normal life. And I can't stand not knowing the answer to anything!! So I had to learn to accept that my actual "condition" was still elusive to diagnose. I continue to do most things I've always done, but pay attention to those things that aggravate my symptoms and avoid them. My advice is to read information from credible sources....Mayo, Immunology boards, lupus foundation, etc. because everyone's situation is different.

I have experienced the exact symptoms as everyone else. Does anyone have autoimmune diseases this might be related to? I have two of them(once you have one, you are likely to get more). I have vitiligo, overactive thyroid and something called skin writing. These symtoms of swelling just started two days ago and I feel like my tongue and throat might be starting to swell too, although I have no difficulty breathing. Is this something that seems to go away after a few days, or will I have to get used to it?