i have been drinking for about 11 years now, steadily drinking around 6 bottles of beer a night, usually 5 - 6 days a week, sometimes more and sometimes less. for the last two weeks when i decided to not drink for a night i start developing really itchy skin and very small hives on my hands and feet. when i drink about two beers it starts to go away.

does anyone know anything about this or have ever heard of such a thing? what potentially may be causing it physiologically or psychologically?

i am not aware of any dietary or cleaning product changes.

i have heard of people getting hives from drinking but never from cutting back. i am not certain as to whether it would be withdrawal or not because i don't really get other symptoms like those commonly described (shakiness, etc).

something similar to this happened in the past when i was drinking a lot consecutively, i started to get hives on my hands and feet and arms in the cold, but only when i was exposed to cooler or cold air (late autumn/winter temperatures). it would even happen if i put my hand in a freezer for about 30 - 45 seconds.

I work at a drug and alcohol clinic in Thailand, however I am not an expert on hives, but I do know stress can cause them, if your going through withdrawal symptoms this causes stress, stress can cause hives. So seems very likely to me.

There is also a large variety of withdrawal symptoms from irritability, mood swings, right up to seizures. If you have been drinking 6 beers a day most nights of the week for 11 years, I would guess your going to have some level of withdrawals on the days you don’t drink.

Remember alcoholism is progressive because it didn’t happen last year doesn’t mean it won’t happen this year. You’re not shaking now when you quit for a day but you might be next year. Get it?

Try not drinking for a week, I’ll give ya 10 to one your hives will go away.

All the best

Alcohol is water-soluble and is best detoxed out of the body through sweat. If you do not sweat, your skin may break out in hives trying to release the toxins. Try doing some cardio or take a really hot shower, and make sure to be well hydrated.

I have a very similar problem and exact same drinking habits but I wasn't taking time off from drinking when hives first appeared until recently (the last two weeks). First started in Dec but stopped for 3 weeks then Jan it just blew up on my hands, knees, elbows. The hives come and go after a few minutes or sometimes hours. Currently being tested for fatty liver/hepatits etc. since my liver enzymes are kind of high. Also should get my biopsy result (had 2 cut out on my hand) tomorrow but it's clear they're hives. Recently they've been spreading up my biceps and forearms though a couple times. I'd like to know what happen with the OP lol

Zyrtec seems to work best but a steroid cream, prednisone and hydroxyzine seemed to have little help.

I had this full body hives... I quit drinking permanantly no hives since a month clean

What if the hives continue when you're approximately 2 weeks into sobriety? Because this doesn't seem normal to me at all.

Thank you! I'm 10 days sober and they've been absolutely dreadful - I'll give it a month and if they're still problem I'll check with my physician.

I developed chronic hives when I was 17. Get them almost every day. I will have 3-4 day spurts where 70% of my body will be covered. I look like a leapored. I've began to notice that when I drink alchol it alleviates the symptoms and makes the swelling recess.
When an allergic reaction occurs, the body releases a protein called histamine. When histamine is released, the tiny blood vessels known as capillaries leak fluid. The fluid accumulates in the skin and causes a rash.
I believe that due to your blood thinning it moves more fluidly through the body and does not allow the capillaries to leak as much fluid. Thus alleviating your symptoms

I'm trying to give up drink when I go to bed I can't sleep because i'm scratching all the time and I can't sleep I just have to get up and watch the night goodbye is there anything for it thank you.***this post is edited by moderator *** *** posting of private e-mails is not allowed*** *** all questions should be discussed on our website *** Please read our Terms of Use