I am two months pregnant and recently I have noticed that my feet and hands are really swollen. My mother has the same problem so I thought that it is something that runs in the family. However, I went to my doctor and he told me that the pregnancy is causing the swelling of my feet and hands. Is this true?

Pregnancy is a time of physical and emotional changes. Shifts in hormonal levels and metabolism can contribute to various physical and emotional discomforts. It is normal to experience swelling of the feet, legs and hands during pregnancy. The amount of blood in your body increases about 40%. Your body naturally holds water so your heart needs to work harder to circulate this extra fluid. Swelling of the hands and feet occurs during the last three months of pregnancy for about one out of three women. This greatly increases during hot weather. Even though swelling or puffiness is not unusual or serious, it can be pretty uncomfortable. There are some things that you can do that can help you ease your symptom. You can eat foods high in protein, such as beans, cheese, fish, meat and tofu. Drink the fresh juice of a lemon in a cup of warm water. This can help you decrease the extra fluid your body retains. You should try to avoid standing for long periods of time and rest two or three times a day with your legs elevated higher than your heart. Lie down with pillows under your calves and feet and also lying down on your left side is better for circulation.

This response isn't too helpful, since she asks about swelling during EARLY pregnancy, not during third trimester. I too have this issue and can't find any information about it; everything I have found talks about swelling in third trimester only (duh, no kidding you should expect swelling in the third trimester).

Any response or information abot it?