Hello, While I am not currently pregnant I believe it best to be informed. I recently discovered that I have a severe drug allergy to Demerol which is an opiod or narcotic anagesic, I have heard many things about narcotic analgesics being used during delivery. Are they used in the epideral? Is there another option to use if it is? Thank You for any help you can give me!

It is best to ring a doctor/midwife and ask this. Your midwife will be able to tell you what pain relief you can use when you write your birth plan when you are pregnant

I also have an allergy to demerol, unfortunately i found out while i was in labor. No it is not mix in the epideral, however it is something that they give you before the epideral. I was told by my midwife that in most cases it is given way before the eipderal, but in my case it was only given 10 to 15 minutes before and my reaction came on slow and quickly progressed to hives and swelling in my face. they immediately took all medication drips away from me and pumped me full of something to counteract it. needless to say, I had to go through the birthing process with no pain medication.

to answer your question, no you do not have to have demerol and there are other options. yes you can still have an epideral because it has nothing to do with demerol. be sure to ask your doctor though because im sure every hospital does everything differently. Good luck, you are smart to get the info before confronted with the situation. I had no clue!