Although I know physical pain is a common, but often ignored, I cannot pretend there is everything fine any more. What worries me, beside joint pain I already mention, I have symptom of depression. I have heard pain severity is a strong predictor of the degree of depression and health-related quality of life. Now I want to hear what you could tell me about my condition, is there any connection between depression and joint pain. Is there some possible treatment for this?

I guess the info you have heard is from findings in a newly published study. Two-thirds of the depressed patients beginning antidepressant treatment in the study reported being in physical pain. The most commonly cited symptoms were frequent headaches, back pain, joint pain, and abdominal pain. Physical symptoms persisted longer than depression symptoms in more than a third of the patients that is what is found in these studies. This is leading the researchers to conclude that pain may serve as a barometer for gauging the effectiveness of depression treatment. It is important to recognize that physical symptoms like your joint pain can be part of the picture of depression. I can tell you although physical symptoms may be related to or aggravated by the depression, they can linger longer than the emotional symptoms. At three months, patients who reported being in severe pain were four times as likely as those who did not report pain to have a poor response to antidepressant treatment. That is why I could tell you for sure that physical symptoms often predominate and may distract attention from comorbid depressive symptoms. The new emphasis on pain provides an opportunity for better recognizing and understanding the interaction between depression and join or any other pain.

Could you cite the article you're referring to here?

Thanks.

There actually is a correlation between depression (not anti-depressants!) and joint pain. The best actual treatment for it is to treat the depression because that seems to take care of the joint pain in most cases. I'm not entirely sure as to why it occurs--it could be lack of moving because depression causes a decrease in mobility or if it's some sort of anxious fixation on one's body when depressed, but that's the case. In any case, does anyone know if there were any studies on this?

You should also be aware of how and why you have felt physical discomfort. Personally, my joint pain has been present since I could first remember. Doctors are still unsure of what it is. I now have fairly uncomfortable depression and have had depression just about my entire stay at college. I am about to graduate but am seriously considering taking the rest of the semester off to get a bigger jumpstart on handling my joint pain and emotional hurricane.

At any rate, ask yourself if the pain existed prior or happens during the onset of an "episode" or if it just happens all the time?

I have been depressed for many years and never once did i have my bones hurt as much as now since on antidepressants. Since the last three years on the anti depressants I have been experiencing bone and joint problems. I do not throw out the fact that depression can lead to problems with bone and joint problems in the elderly. I am not sure how many factors play a part in that. For we all know that bones and joints in the elderly are already at risk, however, there are other factors such as diet and lifestyles that play into the picture for the elderly. Also, aging can mean not being able to do the things one use to do; therefore , that can be depressing for many productive people not be able to perform their jobs as well as they previously did or not perceived to be able to do their jobs as well as they were once perceived to be able to do so.  I have been researching this and have found evidence that anti depressants do cause bone and joint problems in the elderly.