I have been suffering joint pain for many years now. I used to have a very physical job and carried and dragged heavy weights all day, freezing cold in winter, baking hot in summer. Now I'm a desk pilot and have put on a couple of pounds and get little exercise apart from playing golf, once per week. My job is very stressful and I unwind with a glass of wine or two, truth be known. My joint pain is manifesting itself in just about everywhere. Since I cannot take anti-inflams, I either take paracetemol or put up with the pain. Does drinking alcohol help anyone or does it contribute to the pain.

Hi:
Alcohol would probably reduce the pain because that's what alcohol does. However, it does not cure the source of the problem. In addition, regular alcohol use, depending on the amount, carries its own consequences, which can negatively impact you physically over the long-term. You could be picking up another problem as you are trying to solve another. You didn't mention why you can't take anti-inflammatory drugs. This seems to indicate that you have some other health issue. I would be surprised if the alcohol would be good for that situation. Make an informed decision. Consult with a doctor to see what your options are to deal with the joint pain. See if you can develop a health plan that will address your weight and joint problem. I wish you the best. Please update me about your condition and your progress.

My joints hurt today as part and parcel of my hangover! There is another thread about alcohol and joint pain if you want to read more "can alcohol affect joints". Just wanted to let you know to be careful.