I have a friend who knows a lot about medicine. He told me about some new disease called Devic’s syndrome. He said it is a rare autoimmune central nervous system disorder characterized by transverse myelitis. I was surprised when I found out how dangerous it could be, so I would like to hear more about it. Can you tell me more about problem called Devic’s syndrome?

It is true that Devic’s syndrome is dangerous disease, in which the fatty, protective covering of the spinal cord breaks down. Beside this, commonly we can notice optic neuritis, with inflammation of the optic nerve causes loss of vision and eye pain. It is considered a special form of multiple sclerosis. Difference is that Devic’s syndrome has severe and rapid course. The disorder you want to hear more about affects the optic nerve and the nerves in the spinal cord. In Devic's syndrome, the fatty sheath that protects these nerves is lost, so individuals may experience vision impairment and various degrees of paralysis, as well as incontinence. The disorder is closely linked with MS and lupus, but usually it appears before any symptoms of multiple sclerosis. If an isolated disease episode affecting the spinal cord and optic nerve occurs after an infection or common cold, it is considered a post-infectious acute demyelinated encephalomyelitis rather than Devic's syndrome. Unfortunately, there is currently no standard treatment for Devic's syndrome. Devic's syndrome is fatal in many patients, although some ADE patients achieve complete or nearly complete recovery while others may have residual deficits. Some severe cases of ADE may be fatal, which is definitely big problem that must be considered when we are talking about Devic’s syndrome.