Please, can anyone explain me what is optic neuritis? My dad had MRI of his head done and was diagnosed with optic neuritis. I am worried about him. Is he going to lose his sight? Is this symptom of more serious disease?

Optic neuritis is an inflammation of the optic nerve and it is one of the causes of acute loss of vision associated with pain. Optic neuritis can be the initial episode for a patient who will develop multiple sclerosis. The diagnosis of optic neuritis is usually made clinically, but direct imaging of the optic nerves by MRI is reserved for atypical cases. MRI of the brain yields information that can change management and yield prognostic information in terms of the patient's future risk for development of multiple sclerosis.

I know this not much, but my mother in law experienced ischemic optic neuritis in one eye when she was placed on Lipitor and then after 4years it occurred again in the other eye when she was placed on Tricor. She has been to numerous doctors and clinics and they say there is nothing that can be done to improve her eyesight.