Someone at work has got Multiple Sclerosis, and I have heard that this is a disease that can have many possible symptoms and that it can affect the brain very seriously. The problem is that I know nothing beyond that. I think that we have all heard the term Multiple Sclerosis in passing, and that we all know that it is a pretty serious disease. Beyond that, I am not sure what actually happens. I think that this new colleague of mine is enough of a reason to care a little more and to find out just what it is that happens to people with Multiple Sclerosis. Can anyone explain?

Sure, no problem. The very basics of Multiple Sclerosis are as follows: it is an inflammatory disease, which attacks the central nervous system. That means the brain and spinal cord can be affected, by lesions that leave nerve endings vulnerable. It is very unpredictable and can strike pretty much anywhere. Any function that is controlled by the brain or spinal cord can be lost at any time, though it's unlikely that all possible complications will manifest in one and the same patient.