Hello! Something very bad happened to my sister two weeks ago. I was out of town on a business trip when everything happened and I was so shocked when I heard the news. Just out of the blew she experienced some kind of leg paralyses and tingling and burning all over her body. Everything happened in just few hours with no special activity to provoke it. She started panicking when she couldn’t move and called an emergency and they took her to the hospital. She was there having all sorts of tests and in the end they said it was transverse myelitis. They couldn’t find what had caused it, there was no an underlying condition. I am really interested at the course of this disease and if we can expect any improvement. Thank you very much for your help

Hi, I am very sorry to hear about your sister. This is actually how transverse myelitis appears, out of the blue, or in the course of a week or two. There are many potential factors that could contribute to this neurological disorder but sometimes the cause can’t be found. Some of the potential causes are viral infections, some vaccinations, lyme disease and some other abnormal immunological reactions but like in your sister’s case, there are moments when the cause can’t be found. Transverse myelitis is inflammation of the spinal cord that may occur across both sides of one level of the spine. This inflammation destroys myelin that covers the nerve cells and cause damage the nerves, leading to loss of communication between the spinal cord and other body parts. Transverse myelitis usually occurs just once although some people have recurrent episodes. Some manage to recover without any permanent damage but other, unfortunately don’t and may not be able to function normally throughout the day. Significant improvement showed be noticed 3-6 months following the onset of symptoms but may also start much sooner. I hope everything goes well with your sister.

The exact same thing happened to my otherwise VERY healthy and active 45yo wife.........OVER 5 1/2 YEARS AGO!!!!!!!
I don't think any of the physicians here knew WHAT to diagnose it as, and attached the label "Transverse Myelitus" to it!
Supposedly, ALL the necessary tests and early treatments were applied, but had little affect on her condition, which was
total and complete paralysis from the neck down!! Initially on a respirator, since she didn't even have control of her
diaphragm and was unable to breathe on her own, she spent nearly 6 mos. being sent from one medical facility to another
(for one thing or the other) and eventually the paralyses had receded to a level giving her only limited control of her
diaphragm, torso, and FINGERS only......but absolutely NOTHING else......to include both bowel and bladder control!!!!!!
My children and I have cared for her AT HOME for nearly (5) years now, with NO signs of any improvement whatsoever!
Even MORE alarming, and with NO obvious cure for this condition ANYWHERE in the distant future, she has basically been
"written off as a lost cause" by the few medical professionals she still see's to this day, for conditions arising from the
paralysis! Fortunately, her head and mindset are still in a very good place, as she slowly begins to accept the fact that
she's "probably" going to be this way for the rest of her life!!!! It's to bad that in this day and age of modern medicine,
there are STILL medical mysteries beyond the reach, of some of the greatest minds of all time! Sad.....very sad!!!