Hello. I'm 20 year old female and I would like to hear some information about one disease I'm interested about.
My best friend’s brother has been diagnosed with this condition called Neuromyelitis optica and I would like to find out how serious it really is. Anyway, my friend doesn’t like to talk about it and that’s why I must find information all by my self.
I really don’t know a lot about this disease beside the fact that it affects nerves and optic cord.
Please help me to understand crucial facts about this condition!

Hello. I have read somewhere some information about this disease and I must tell you that it is far from something trivial. It seams to me that it is rather serious.
Neuromyelitis optica is also known as Devic’s syndrome or Devic’s disease. If I understood correctly we are talking about one inflammatory disorder with a striking predilection for the optic nerves and spinal cord. Which means that it can cause vision damages.
It is made of one or more clinical episodes of optic neuritis in combination with myelitis- muscle inflammation. You are right- neuromyelitis optica affects young adults and still- the real cause is unknown.

hi there there is a worldwide support group and info website here:
devic.org.uk hope this helps cheers gayle xx :-)