Hello, I am 45 years old and I have to admit that coughs and colds are not passing that easily and fast as before. Actually, they sometimes are a real problem. Of course, I take meds, Dextromethorphan being my first choice. But, it looks like it does not help that much anymore, so I have been thinking of adding Guaifenesin. Are there any interactions?

Both of these medications are meant to deal with the problems you have (relieving from cough caused by various factors – cold, infections, sinus inflammation etc). Although they have different mechanisms the effect is the same. Perhaps you can try to take this other drug solo, and see which one is more effective. Taking them at the same time might produce a stronger effect, but it might not happen too. And there are no interactions.

The cough suppressant dextromethorphan can be safely taken at OTC doses by people who are not on drugs for mood or depression. Guaifenesin acts as an expectorant to loosen mucous in the lungs for easier removal.