The last month or so I get a sudden "tickle" in my throat 5-8 times a day that makes me cough a lot. It feels like there is some phelm below my lower throat area that I can't seem to get up. My eyes tear up and I have to blow my nose a lot during these episodes. My Dr. says I don't have allergies. How can I relieve this condition?

You may have a bacterial infection of whooping cough or similar to it. The vaccine lasts between 10-15 years and when it wears off you can get it again. Most adults that get it experience what you're describing, such as a minor throat ailment, some ahem-ing, and a little bit of coughing. Most don't experience any kind of incapacitation that children are likely to experience. This kind of bacterial infection also typically lasts from 2-6 weeks.

If this is what's going on, be sure to wash your hands often to not pass it on and blow your nose when you need and get the phlegm from your airway (you definitely don't want it to stay there). To make this easier, breath in warm steam, which loosens up mucus. It should be easy to cough it out once it's loose. You can also try eating spicy food which also loosens up mucus.

Other than that, there may not be a whole lot to do other than ride it out. If you do have some kind of whooping cough infection, once you're better from it, you'll be immune for another 10-15 years. I also wouldn't get antibiotics. Once the cough has settled in, antibiotics are relatively useless.

I'm amazed that at this point in time there's still such a mystery about a chronic cough or tickle. Just go to Google and type in
"LPR"!

Richard,
LPR isn't the cause of ALL coughs and throat tickles. It's not the magic bullet. I know this as a fact. Sorry, but please get off your high horse and quit acting like everyone else is stupid and you have the answer. It's not that easy.

Someone seems to have decided that I was indicting LPR as the villain in ALL cases of cough and tickle, while having nothing additional to suggest except character comments, and mystery as to the alternatives. Hmmm....

should I see a doc for this problem?

i have tickle in throat a week now makes me cough until tears run down face

Oh my goodness...I've been going thru the same exact symptoms (throat tickle, cough and runny nose to follow). I've taken cough drops, allergy meds and generic mucinex. Just had a job interview and couldn't stop the coughing, sneezing, runny nose...even had to constantly  pull Kleenex out of my purse and apologize to the interviewer and reassure him that I didn't have a cold. Just awful, needless to say, I didn't get the job...HELP! 

I have been having this for quite sometime. The tickle and dry cough and eyes running and nose running for several months and it hits out of no where. But it does happen several times a day and at night every night I take cough meds before I go to bed. And have cough drops in the day time. I really want to find out what I can do about this. If anyone has a clue please let me know what you find out.

Sorry, I didn't realize I was hitting a dislike icon. the post is fine, just wish there was an answer.

I am sitting here in awe that someone else experiences the dry trickle, embarrassing cough and nose running. I have been having this for 3 months, if I am not cautious i will have long string of clear mucous run out my nose. I was at a job interview once when this happened. I assured the supervisor that I wasn't sick and that my doc says its from acid reflux. I take Prevacid but it hasn't helped.

I have also heard that GERD / acid reflux might be connected to, and actually may be the reason you have, that annoying cough! It seems like an allergy, but it's not! It could just be a natural drip not caused by anything but a natural respiratory function. I have been treated for acid reflux, and remained coughing throughout treatment. I really don't think my cough is related to anything! Whatever it is, it just seems to run its course. There have been years when I have coughed from November through March, and other years, nothing. Good luck in finding some relief, if not answers!

I found this on steadyhealth.com: Causes of Nonproductive Coughs

Nonproductive coughs are dry and are not associated with the production of mucus. Common causes of nonproductive coughs are listed below:
Bronchospasm: A spasm in the bronchial tube, a condition commonly termed as bronchospasm, might trigger nonproductive cough at night. It is often caused by some form of irritation in the bronchial tubes.
Viral infection: Viral illness is often followed by dry cough, which might even continue for weeks. The cough gets worse at night.
Allergies: Frequent sneezing and dry cough are indicators of allergic rhinitis.
Exposure to pollutants: Exposure to pollutants in the form of chemicals, fumes, or dust in the environment can also trigger nonproductive cough.
Asthma: One of the main symptoms of asthma is a chronic, dry cough.

I HAVE THE SAME INTERMITANT TICKLE  IRRITATION AND I HAVE TRIED LOTS OF THNGS AND THE ONLY PRODUCT THAT HELPS ME 90 CENT  OF THE TIME IS ,,SOOTHERS WITH LEMON AND LIME LIQUID CENTRES,YOU LET THE LOLLY DISSOLVE SLOWLY AND THE LIQUID SLIDES DOWN TO THE THE TICKLE AND STOPS IT. AFTER FIVE PACKS OF SOOTHERS OVER THREE WEEKS MY  TICKLE AND COUGH WENT AWAY.