So I have this really bad dry cough that has been literally torturing me for the past couple of days and I have no idea what to do about it. I talked to my friend about this and she told me that I might be having a non productive cough. I didn't ask her what it actually was and now I am like, what is this thing? I was hoping that someone here might clear this out for me, please, what is non productive cough and what are its causes? Why I'm even having this kind of cough?

Hey Guest,

Well, I think that your friend doesn't really know what that means either because non productive cough means that you are actually just having a dry cough.

I think that the most common causes of dry cough are just some flues and colds, nothing serious. Some allergies might also cause dry cough or some air pollutants. If you are using any medications, you could also have a dry cough as a side effect of those medications, you should check the possible side effects of the medication that you are using. Stress can also be the cause of your dry cough.

Yeah, it is the same as dry cough, I am having problems with this myself, I guess that it happens to everyone once in a while. For example, in my city there is this stomach virus now and everyone is sick, and everyone has this dry cough caused by this stomach virus so that is just one of many, many things which can be the cause of dry cough. I think that I will agree with Chameleon Color that catching a cold or having a flue could possibly be the two most common causes of a dry cough, or a non productive cough, however you prefer it.

So she was actually just playing smart I guess, and it actually worked because I felt stupid for not knowing what non productive cough meant but I suppose that she didn't know it either. Yeah, I don't really know what is the cause of my dry cough out of all those things that you guys mentioned above but I am having other symptoms as well so I think that I must have caught a flue or something. I am usually good at dealing with flues, I am able to do all the things that I usually do without even paying attention to my flu.

Good day. Nonproductive cough is one type of a cough that does not bring up any type of mucous. When you hear that people are telling you that you have problems with a dry cough, that is it. It is the same thing - dry or not - productive cough! The main causes of this type of a cough are irritations or swelling in your airways. That can be caused by asthma or bronchitis. That is why it needs to be checked with your health care provider. There is a big chance that you are dealing with it because you are cold or you have a flue. Some other upper respiratory illness can cause it as well. My advice is to check it before it turns into productive.

I found this link very helpful so I think that this can help you or anybody who has issues or questions about non - productive cough.

https://www.steadyhealth.com/articles/how-to-treat-dry-cough

As you already know, it is the same thing as a dry cough so treat it like that one. 

When my brother had this issue, he went to see his doctor and very soon they find out that he has asthma. Now, he is treating it very successfully, but just because they found out this on time. Simple flu can cause it but this simple flu can lead to so many other, more serious issues. 

Look, look guys. According to some last posts, it seems to me that you don't make a difference between non - productive cough and flu. And you should! It is not the same thing.

Also, unlike a chesty cough, a dry cough does not produce any mucus and is therefore termed as "non-productive". A very common symptom of a catching a cold is a cough, but you need to be aware of the fact that coughing also can be a signal of a more serious medical complication.

Don't be silly trying to find out alone what is your main problem...