Hey everyone,

My dad is having an awful chronic persistent dry cough and the fact that he keeps saying that it is going to go away on its own is making me so mad at him that I can't even describe it to you. I mean, seriously, this has been going on for so long and he just keeps saying how it is going to go away on its own and how he needs no treatment. Well, I am going to find out how to treat it and then I am going to make him do what he has to do. So, any ideas how to treat this?

Hi Guest,

It would be easier if you would establish what is the cause of your father's dry cough. Could it be the air inside your house? You know that there is a possibility for the air inside your house to be causing this. 

Your father should take steamy showers, they work great against persistent dry coughs, he can also ask in the pharmacy about some medications for treating dry coughs. Whenever I had a dry cough, I would usually just take some syrups and I would take steamy baths, those two things combined never failed me when it comes to this.

I normally treat my dry cough with syrup as well, I don't really understand the meaning of a chronic dry cough but my cough is always persistent but as soon as I finish my small bottle of syrup, the cough is always gone. If you can persuade your father to try out the syrup that the people in the pharmacy would give you, I am almost sure that he will benefit from it and if it doesn't stop his dry cough, it will definitely make it easier for him to cope with it. You could also search about some home remedies for this matter.

Good day. I actually never had any problems in treating my dry cough. I usually was treating with syrup, hot teas and I never had any problems. After less than 5 days, my dry cough was gone and I felt just OK. Now, on the other hand, I know that some people do have problems with it much more, so this is something that requires doctor's observation. Now, when it comes to your dad, I really believe that you should find the right cause of it and than try to treat it. I believe that this has nothing to do with some cold, flu or something similar. I don't want to scare you, but it can be something more serious. It is time to check this.

I think that it is not that hard to treat a dry cough, if it is just a cough. There are so many syrups, sprays, tablets, and lozenges designed to control coughing and I think that everyone can find something to help for himself/herself. I know that I spent a lot of money for this when I had issues with a dry cough and it always helped me.

But to choose something that can help you, you need to find a cause of your dry cough.

Especially if this cough is persistent, that can be a huge problem. 

Good luck there.

I can see that some of you keep telling that you can always find a cause of a dry cough. Well, bad news - you can't. I was not able as well. I have tried to cure it with cough suppression and that is a medication that is recommended for suppressing your cough. I can say that I found it very helpful. Especially benzonatate (or other called Tessalon) - this is a prescription medication that may be recommended if dextromethorphan is not helpful, but it helped me...So I just want to say that this can vary from one person to another...

Hello everyone.

I didn't know that sometimes you are not able to find the cause of chronic and persistent dry cough. My mistake in previous posts, I am sorry.

Well, one good friend of mine was able to treat it with codeine and hydrocodone. Those are prescription narcotic medications that can be added to cough syrup that you are using already. Generally, I was reading something about this and I can say that according to experience it is not helpful to all. But you should ask your dad's doctor about this.

Also, one thing - it has some side - effects. You might feel sleepy and that is why you should not use it while you are driving your car, for example.