Guys, I need one explanation. What is the difference between a productive and non-productive cough? I would swear that this is pretty much the same, but I was watching some show last night where it says that those two terms are totally different.

So, anyone in here knows something about it? How to know what are the main differences between it and how to know what is production and non - productive cough?

I want to know because very often I have problems with it and I really would like to know what is the difference between it.

Tnx a lot!

Hey Hannah,

Sure there is a difference and it is quite easy to explain. Non-productive cough is the same thing as dry cough, you are coughing but nothing is coming out of your mouth (no mucous nor blood). On the other hand, when you have a problem with a productive cough, you will have some weird mucous or blood coming out of your mouth while coughing (this mucous can usually be different colors, green, yellow, white, and so on). Usually, if you come to see your doctor because of your cough, he will always ask you if you noticed any mucous during your coughing or not.

I will agree with The Pleasure is mine, he is right when it comes to the differences between these two types of coughs, I thought about which one is more dangerous but I think that both of these can be dangerous but only in some really rare cases, both of these are basically caused just by colds and flues so either way there is nothing really to worry about here. Unless your cough has been persistent for quite some time, then I think that you should talk to your doctor about this in order to find out what exactly is causing this.

Neither one of these coughs is dangerous but people tend to stop their coughs, to not cough, you know, and that can be dangerous, if you feel like coughing, you should just cough, it is your body trying to get out whatever bad it is holding inside.

Dry coughs also tend to last a couple of weeks longer than productive coughs but it doesn't mean that it is any more dangerous than productive coughs. All in all, both of these are basically caused by colds and flues so I think that when it comes to coughs, there is rarely a reason to worry about.

People always get scared when their cough is lasting for too long, especially if they are noticing some mucous while they are coughing (which is, as the others already explained, called productive cough) but that is actually good, you are getting rid of the bad stuff from the inside of your body while you are not doing that if you are having a dry cough. 

None of these are dangerous, it is in some rare cases that this can get complicated but in most cases it is completely harmless. Well, people will always go to see their doctors because of their cough anyway.

Hi there everyone. Let me explain to you so you can understand it completely. Very simple, nonproductive cough is one that does not bring up any mucous and it is also known as a dry cough. On the other hand, a cough that is defined as productive in one when some type of secretions come up during coughing. This could be mucous or blood and it can be green, white, yellow, bright red blood, dark red blood, etc....I think that this is the easiest way to understand it. I didn't know a lot about this as well, but I have learned it as soon as my doctor explained to me...Have a nice day.

I always laughed to my mom when she told me that I need to observe three things - my stool, my urine and my cough. Now, when I am older I totally understand what she wanted to say with this.

Anyway,  it usually happens that sometimes we have productive coughs when we have a simple upper respiratory infection or just a simple cold. Well, if this is the cause, it usually resolves within a few days.On the other hand much more serious illnesses can cause productive coughs as well.  That means that if you notice that your cough is productive and lasts longer than a week or two, contact your health care provider. Observe color and structure of it...

Good day everyone.

So, thank God I am dealing with non - productive cough, according to your information. Anyway, I think that the most important thing that you can do is to contact your health provider no matter what, it doesn't matter do you have non - productive or a productive cough. 

If something gets bad, your doctor will prescribe some medications for you immediately. Anyway, don't hesitate to call your health provider no matter what happens. I remember that I was using expectorants and they really helped me to lose and thin mucus and cough suppressants will calm a cough so you can sleep.