Hi. I had a seizure 5 weeks ago. My EEG results were abnormal. After observation and a few more tests I was diagnosed with epilepsy. So I got it. I`m not sure what to do next. Is there anybody with epilepsy who could tell me more about the condition and the causes?

Hi. Epilepsy is a chronic neurological condition. The common symptoms of epilepsy are unprovoked epileptic seizures. Epilepsy cannot be cured, but it can be controlled with meds. Surgery is an option for certain difficult cases. The causes of epilepsy can be symptomatic and idiopathic. Causes of symptomatic epilepsy include head injury, genetic conditions, stroke, encephalitis, alcohol, parasitical infection, complications during pregnancy and neurosurgical operations. Idiopathic epilepsy is often genetic. Some things can trigger epilepsy, such as alcohol, menstruation, stress, illness, constipation or tiredness.