This post is an extension of the

Smelling Smoke All the Time thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

My Dr. thinks I'm crazy....but I smell constant cigarette/ wood burning odor too. Why can't someone solve this ?????? Are there any smart Dr.s out there??????

Hi all,

I have been reading the posts here with much interest as I am a Dr and suffering the same symptoms! My main concern is that these 'olfactory hallucinations' as they are called in our trade, are one of the symptoms of a condition called 'temporal lobe epilepsy'. Google it for further information or check out the wikipedia definition here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporal_lobe_epilepsy

I am very surprised and worried that a lot of the physicians people are seeing with regards to this symptom are telling them that its probably nothing and merely somatisation of stressors! What a useless bunch of quacks! Ask for a referral to a decent neurologist and get an EEG done!

Hi all,

I am very surprised and worried that a lot of the physicians people are seeing with regards to this symptom are telling them that its probably nothing and merely somatisation of stressors! What a useless bunch of quacks! Ask for a referral to a decent neurologist and get an EEG and an MRI done!

For the past several days I was convinced that I had been smelling my neighbor smoking outside, but when I began to smell it at work (a school) I truly thought I was going crazy.... or being huanted by someone who smoked. Like many of the posts I have read, I also get a sting in my eyes as I take in the wiff of cigarette smoke. I do not smoke, nor does anyone I live or work with. I guess I will call my doctor tomorrow, but I can't really tell if this is something I should be really concerned over, or just mildly irritated by. I am looking for any comfort or advice.

I have had the same symptoms, off and on for several years. At first, it was awful, as I realized that I was the only one smelling smoke. I do also have migranes, but had never considered a connection.

I know this sounds too simple to be true, but while researching this problem, I came across a thread that said if you put vicks vabor rub (or similiar substance) in our nasal passage, it will help the symptoms. It truly has been a huge help for me. Long way from a cure, but I can tolarate the smell of vicks vapor rub, but not the smell of smoke, which at times can be almost choking.

I have read four or five different medical forums on the web with reports like this. I'm glad to see that I am not crazy like everyone says I am. I am going through another bought of smoke smelling right now and decide to google it this time around. It comes and goes for me throughout the year. I am otherwise pretty healthy. I exercise, I'm not on any medication, I'm not ill (that I know of), I don't drink, smoke, intake coffee. I've never had any infections that require antibiotics or any sort of medication for that matter. I guess I've been very lucky, health wise. I just smell smoke every now and then and it drives me nuts! The type of smoke varies as well. Sometimes it is cigarette smoke, sometimes electrical fire smoke, sometimes wood burning. It sounds like a lot of people go through the same symptoms. Would be nice if someone took notice and did a study of some sort to figure out what's going on.

Reassuring to know I'm not the only one with this wierd sypmtom. The smoke I'm smelling is the wood type: first time woke me up at 2am; thought fire somewhere in the house!!! Freaked me out!!! That was about 3 months ago. After reading all of the (helpful) posts and seeing items in common, I realized about 3 or 4 months ago I started taking Bendryl [an ANTIHISTIMINE] almost every night to help me sleep (at the suggestion of my Dr.). (Sleeplessness is a menopause symptom with which I am suffering.) So I'm thinking perhaps my sinuses have gotten ultra-dry, hence the smelling of smoke like so many of you are reporting. I'm going to lay off the benedry completely & see what happens. Will post again with results in a few weeks. Thank you to all of you who have posted. I'll be thrilled if, with your help, I've found the answer to this baffling sypmtom.

I am so happy to find all of these posts. I thought that I was losing my mind. I want the smell of smoke to stop ... like so many of you, it's driving me crazy; but it is comforting to know that others are experiencing the same symptoms.

The smell of cigarette smoke is sooo distinct and strong. At one point I started smelling pipe scented smoke (I guess that's what some of you refer to as the smell of wood burning).

I'm going to assume, as some of you suggest, that it's sinus related. I'm not currently on any medications but I'll try different things and try to report back if any of these things work; I guess I should report back with the things that failed as well.

Good luck to all of you ... and please keep posting; it's helping me to keep my sanity.

It's nice to know I'm not crazy.

I started smelling cigarette smoke about 5 days ago and it hasn't been constant but it's been quite often enough. At work, at home and I don't smoke, smoke free work environment.

Yesterday, I was getting so annoyed I took the box of downy sheets and put it next to me just to smell something else. At least I can smell normal smells, it's just when there's "nothing" to smell, it smells like cigarette.

It had happened to me maybe 3-4 years ago that I was smelling something in the air (as if my nose had woken up and was overly sensitive) but at that time it wasn't cigarette smoke. It went away after a day or so.

I was sick a few weeks ago with a cold. I didn't get stuffed up as much as I usually get with a cold but I did take a couple of tylenol cold (not tylenol sinus) which was unusual for me. But that was a few weeks ago so that should have been flushed out by now.

I'm thinking too that with the change in season, my nose is irritated. Here's hoping it goes away like it did before. However, I will ask my mom if she smells it if I exhale hard through my nose.

$$$$$$$ Well people, we ALL have something in common! Stuffy nose, Sinus Infections, nasal problems, Allergies.... etc... Tell me one thing. What do you reach for when you want to clear your sinuses? Yes siree! Think about it... What you reach for to clear your sinuses is causing the SMOKE smell! It happened to me too. I used Zicam Gel. What do you use?

Only thing I've used is saline up the nose and the smoke smell is back and driving my loco!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't take this anymore. Can we all go on mystery diagnosis or something cause i'd rather die than smell smoke every darn day and night. It's been 3 days for me. Left ear which has a tube ( hanging by a thread) has been clogged for almost a month now and I just want to cry from all this head c**p. I have chronic allergies and bronchitis and ear infections. There has to be a way out of this madness.
Jesus help us all. :P

I love how rstone addresses everyone (Well people) and thinks he's cracked it for everyone, even those who like me don't use anything to clear my nose (except my finger). Thank you rstone for bestowing us with your sheer marvellousness. I will tell you one thing rstone - think about it.
May I suggest what some others have suggested and use warm water and some natural (no chemicals) lube gel to get moisture in them there nostrils. It may not work for everyone, I'm prepared to admit that. It's common knowledge that lipbalm can cause dry lips, so therefore the same could be applied to sinus treatments but sometimes one just gets dry lips or sinuses without having used anything.

Me too...I will try the warm water rinse to see if it helps. After waking up in the mornings my nose runs constantly. The volume of mucous is amazing. During a two hour period I go through six to eight tissues. This may be drying out my sinuses or nasal passages too much, hence the very unsettling cigarette smell for the rest of the day. When I first experienced it, I blamed it on too strong a coffee mixture. It truly smells and tastes like you have pushed your face into an overflowing ash tray! It's with you with every breath. I also have thyroid cysts. Could the runny nose be related?

I don't want to freak anyone out on here but I just happened to see this post while looking something else up and thought I should say something. So when I was 17 my mom started smelling smoke all the time. There were a couple times where she actually was driving on he highway and pulled her car over because she thought the car was on fire. Long story short...he best friend was a nurse n said it had 2 be neurological so he saw the dr and sure enough they were rushing her into emergency surgery because she had a brain aneurism that was about to burst