my best friend is pregnant, about 4 months along i think & she smokes about an 8th a day(which is a LOT) they drug test down here in Florida, but what will they do if she tests positive? She quit every drug, smoking cigarettes & drinking alcohol but still smokes weed, is there some cold hard facts about what they will do to her or the baby if she tests positive?

That child IS NOT AT RISK FOR BIRTH DEFECTS

Smoking during pregnancy is not healthy but there is absolutely NO PROOF that marijuana causes birth defects, ONLY that prologed, heavy use can lead to low birth weight and has been linked to learning disabilities. No birth defects.

Don't spread misinformation.

I agree with the first guest answer.
While there are many factors in determining birth defects, there is no PROOF that a major cause is smoking marijuana or cigarettes for that matter.
Let me explain from EXPERIENCE
I smoked a lot some years ago, both weed and cigs.
I got pregnant at 18 cut back on my smoking, but never quit.
My son weighed 7lbs 11 oz....normal weight, normal delivery and he is as normal as normal gets.
some years later, I was pregnant again, again, I smoked throughout the pregnancy but cut back.... a lot!! my daughter was born at 6lbs 9oz a little lighter, but no complications and not abnormally underweight.
A year later, I was pregnant again. This time I smoked weed and cigarettes without cutting back, as a matter of fact I smoked the whole pregancy as if I wasn't pregnant at all...My son was born and outweighed them BOTH at 9lbs 5oz.
Social stigma will tell you and now me, that it was a horrible thing to do and that I should burn in hell for having picked up a cigarette at all....to them I say...SCREW YOU...My kids are all grown, they are happy, healthy and doing better than most middle american families.
Stop trying to control others and spreading your vicious lies about things you have NO experience in...you silly blind little sheep who only believe what Joe Public tells you to believe.
Check you facts, do your own homework. Learn to think for yourself!!!

i agree. smoking weed when pregnant does not cause birth defects, or learning disabilities. however, it may be making her even MORE tired, smoking an eighth a day. tell your friend to refuse the tox screens at the hospital, its her right to do this. my occupation is doing evaluations on kids who are developmentally delayed, or late talkers. i find so many idiots in this field, they read that a child was drug exposed, and they attribute the child's NORMAL behavior as somehow drug related, because of what they have in their head before they see the child, and then their perspective is skewed. these 'developmental experts' often have little to no experience with typically developing children, and they are looking for disorders, as this is what they are trained to do.
i have seen kids born to homeless parents doing crack, marijuana and heroin with no deficits at all. many of these studies were done when the kids used to stay with drug addicted parents, nowadays, they are removed from those environments and go to foster homes. I have also seen kids born to parents who had a few drinks, took over the counter drugs (with OK from doctors) and they have unexplained and severe developmental problems. I personally believe every woman metabolizes drugs differently, but that's just me. Also remember that Autism, one of the largest growing disabilities, is thought to have a genetic component, and pre-natal stress is thought to contribute greatly! The medical community recommends flu shots for pregnant women, which is DEFINITELY a risk, don't let the studies fool you, most were funded by the pharmaceutical companies funding the flu shots. another point is that in Canada, they are thinking of giving marijuana to pregnant women for morning sickness/nausea. so go figure. there's lots of info out there, don't believe the hype! and although we can educate our friends, the beauty of being human is FREEDOM OF CHOICE. God granted this to us, let's all respect it.

Marijuana most certain does not cause birth defects, but it doesn't surprise me that there would be misinformation circulating around about it because highly concentrated marijuana extract is the cure for cancer. Cannabinoids, when ingested in the right amounts in their purest form kill cancer cells and actually triggers cancers to eat themselves to death (autophagy). It is also the body's natural answer to continued health and I am not talking about smoking it.
Don't take my word for it though, research it yourself. Marijuana is not harmful for people, but what must be considered here is the method of ingestion.

Check out this brilliant film, which I wondered about, but I did check it out more and so did thousands of people on the internet and it is a viral video right now! RUN FROM THE CURE: The Rick Simpson Story... you can torrent search it or see it here...

yes smoking weed while pregnant does cause problems with the baby. I know this for a fact. my niece smoked while pregnant and her son has to take meds for seizures every day.

Just because your niece smoked pot while pregnant doesn't mean that's what caused the seizure disorder. I have epilepsy and my mother has never smoked pot. Epilepsy is unfortunate but definitely not caused by pot-smoking. That's just more misinformation.

I'm so glad to see more people getting informed on the effects of marijuana and pregnancy. Not to mention everyone needs to see the study by Melanie Dreher an RN. She did a 30 YEAR study on women in Jamaica who smoke light, moderate, and heavy amounts of marijuana during pregnancy, and all the babies did notably well on a barrage of test, better than the babies of non smoking parents. Marijuana doesn't cause birth defects, or miscarriages, or anything else all the misinformed folks of the internet choose to believe. I will argue this though, when smoking marijuana you are depriving the brain of oxygen, similar to what happens when a woman smokes cigarettes, without all of the extremely harmful chemicals cigarettes have (ammonia anyone?). But the warning for cigarette smokers? Premature labor and low birth weight. How many women have you all seen pregnant and smoking?

Before people start writing off marijuana as the cause of many problems (epilepsy and birth defects? No...) do some research.

you guys are awful...making pregnant women feel like c**p about themnselves is very mean and def not helpful. whan i was pregnant with my son i smoked everyday...until the day of the c section. and i had told my doc about it too, and she told me there are NO BIRTH DEFECTS OR HARM DONE TO A BABY FROM POT. other drugs are very harmful but not pot. the only down side is that depending what state you live in when you test positive they may have a social workr come and talk with you and depending on their oppinion  only decides whether you may may not have a 3 to 6 month month case openned on you with dss. but as long as you do good and are a good mom you have no worries and they will shortly (if they even bothered to open the case) close it. so all of you haters and bashers cut the c**p these girls are pregnant and smoe to feel better they are not homeless and avid heroin or coke users so if you just want to bash these girls dont frigging write anything att all. we are all human and NOBODY IS PERFECT

It wasnt just smoking, the jamaican moms also drank tea witjh the marijuana in it and also made cooking spreads to eat it.

make her give it up there is a lot of things that cud go wrong with mother and baby, she cud end up with blood clots and the baby cud be born with all sorts of birth deffects such as the stomach being developed on the outside and possibly the baby cud die

ANYTHING "CUD" happen. smoking or not. learn how to spell. its could.

Studies show marijuana may seriously affect fetal development.  Lower birth weights, a shorter gestation period, major malformations, and occurrance of miscarriages increase with marijuana use.  Cannabis smoke can cause both mutations, and birth defects, depending on the dose and duration.  Reports say that a small but growing body of evidence indicates subtle but apparently permanent effects on memory, information processing, and executive fuctions, in the offspring of women who used cannabis during pregnancy.  Cannabis exposure was associated with decreased birth weight, reduced length, and smaller head circumference, and prenatal cannabis exposure is associated with fetal growth reduction. Quote on quote  marijana causes lasting behavioral, mental deficits, hyperactivity, impulsivity and learning problems that effect these children because the parents are not educated or ignorant about this subject. My husband and I adopted a little boy and due to the fact his birth mother was thinking the same way as alot of the young women on here.   He is now 6 yrs old and he has some social deficts and behvioural problems along with fine motor skills.   Some of these problems don't show up until they are school aged or when they hit puberty.   If your child had no effects your very lucky but soon or later it will catch up with you with marijuana, smoking, alcohol or other drugs.  Word to the wise if you are going to use be smart and don't get pregnant....

In the state of Florida they have mandatory cord blood drug testing. If she is already been pregnanct for 4 months, even if she quits her cord blood will be positive. After the testing, the hospital will call DCF and they will come to the house drug test everyone and make them do mandatory drug abuse classes.

jacqui2012 wrote:

lurn to spell jackass